1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Boot up problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by prg594, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prg594

prg594 Thread Starter

Be grateful for any assistance anyone can offer...

When booting up (XP), I get to the screen where I select the user name and enter the password. Then I get my usual wallpaper screen but no icons, start button, task bar, tray etc etc. I can't right click on the screen.

I CAN do Crtl+Alt+Del and get a run prompt up and browse the various drives (and even run software through this, e.g. internet) but the desktop is always completely blank. I have tried Safe Mode and restore last known good etc but neither works (both same result, get to wallpaper but no icons).

Any advice gratefully appreciated as to how to proceed.

Cheers,
    Paul.

2. Paladin-X

Paladin-X

when you bring up the run command, type explorer.exe and that'll bring back your icons and taskbar. That'll get you started. Hopefully someone else will know how to fix the problem. This comes up quite a bit on these forums, try running a search and see if you find a solution.

3. prg594

prg594 Thread Starter

Hi, tried that and it can't find explorer.exe (I guess that points to the problem!)

Will have a search through the archives if this is a common problem, but if anyone can offer any assistance please shout!

Thanks again,
    Paul.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324073

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice