1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Bootloader Problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by .exe, Sep 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. .exe

.exe Thread Starter

Hi, my computer is dual boot linux / Windows XP SP3.
    When I boot it up the grub loads fine and linux will load sucessfully.
    However when i try to boot XP the windows bootloader asks me wether i want to boot in Safe mode, safe mode with networking...
    the usual list. I have tryed every one and i get the same results.
    It comes to the bootscreen.
    When the bootscreen would normally finish and the
    GUI (not sure if this term applies to windows) would start the system simply restarts, giving the same results time after time.

Can anyone plz help me? :confused:

2. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
    You can mount your XP drive partition from your Linux, and look at the boot.ini file which is in the root C\: directory. You may need to edit that boot file to make it correct for XP.

3. .exe

.exe Thread Starter

Thanks anyway,
    apart from the fact that my internal harddrive in read only from linux though.
    Linux is installed on an external harddrive. I'll change properties in terminal or sumtn mayb.

4. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    GRUB and the NT boot loader exist independently from each other. Sounds like Windows itself is playing up.

Yeah, boot into Linux, and try to backup your important files. You should be able to access and copy your files within there. Once you do, you should look at running a repair install. See here: http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/installxpcdrepair/indexfullpage.htm

Just wondering, what distribution of Linux are you running?

5. .exe

.exe Thread Starter

Thanks,
    I am currently running ubuntu as a temporary replacement for windows.
    I prefer sabayon (gentoo based) however i lack skill in compiling applications.
    Good old .deb

6. .exe

.exe Thread Starter

I'll have to find someone with a Windows XP SP3 CD also, our machine was preloaded.

7. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
    There is a Linux driver and tool called ntfs-3g to install, listed under utilities in your package manager/ installer, which will allow read and write (edit files) of XP NTFS partitions from your Linux after the drive is mounted.

8. .exe

.exe Thread Starter

Thanks

9. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Welcome to TSG!

On the same screen with the Safe Mode options, you may have an option to Disable automatic restart on system failure

If that is there, it should prevent the restart, and instead give an error (Blue Screen) that might help pinpoint the problem.

If that option is not there, you can boot with the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows and edit the registry to disable the automatic restart.

You'll want to set (or add) the AutoReboot value to 0 under this key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSetXXX\Control\CrashControl

The XXX will be a three digit number 00X. Look under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select for the Default value to get the last digit of the controlset hive the system will use to boot normally, or just change all ControlSetXXX trees that exist.

There may be *nix tools that you can use as well once you get write access to the Windows partition from your Ubuntu partition.

If you have your data backed up, a repair install may be faster than trying the above and then troubleshooting the problem though.

HTH

Jerry

10. Apiezn

Apiezn

I have been using my computer for about a year now...i have a intel motherboard running xp.i recently installed nero 8 to it and when asked 2 reboot my pc i clicked yes.since then the computer switches on and asks whether i want to switch on the pc in safe mode,safe mode with networking, start windows normaly etc...i select normal and the windows xp logo appears as normal on the pc and shows that its loading...then it reboots.this happens all the time even if i select safe mode...i hav checked all my connections and even unplugged my hardrive and removed my ram...but its still the same...i would realy appreciate a helping hand..

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!