1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP boots to black screen - No cursor

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sixner, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sixner

sixner Thread Starter

Hey all

To jump to the point, my computer (XP) is booting to a black screen. No cursor, nothing. It goes through boot and post screens, shows windows loading, and then nothing. I've tried safe mode (w/ and w/o networking) and it does the same thing. Keeps hanging up.

I'm fairly certain my hard drive failed, but I'm not sure. Hoping someone can verify this. The drive is about 4 or 5 years old probably.. not 100%. In light of this, I tried loading windows 7 from disc, and it went through the loading scene and then it went to a colorful backdrop and hung again. I'm not sure how booting from disc works, if it was loading it to the drive or what.. if it was, then it seems simple that the drive failed and I need a new one, correct? If thats NOT how it works (ie strictly booting up from disc), then that would indicate a hardware issue? Possibly power?

Of note, not sure if this is related, but a different drive has been randomly disappearing. It just stops being recognized, and all the files/programs go "missing" (cannot locate source E:/....)... Would this indicate that maybe it is a power issue?

Thanks for any and all help. Let me know if you need any additional information and i'll try to provide what I can.

2. TekTime

TekTime

Do you have a desktop computer, or a laptop computer?

What's the make and model# of your PC?

Sounds like the drive could be failing, but more information is needed to determine if that's the case.

3. sixner

sixner Thread Starter

It's a custom built desktop. Antec case w/ built in power supply. AMD Processor. Radeon HD... 7600? video card w/ add-on cooling unit. 3 hard drives, 2 WD 1 Seagate. I'm fairly certain that i'm on XP SP2.

Anything else needed? I'm trying to remember off hand. I can dig in for specific details if need be.

4. TekTime

TekTime

When you mentioned you "loaded Windows 7 from disc," does that mean you tried to boot using the Windows 7 from disc and it hung, on the XP computer?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!