XP Boots to the BLACK screen of death

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

weebur

Two days ago I worked on my newly built computer for several hours-no problem. Left it on, came back in 2 hours. Desktop displayed with mouse pointer frozen. I've been having problems with losing my old keyboard and have to unplug/plug in extension cord or reboot. Had to restart using switch. POST hung up. Could not select F2 (BIOS) or F12 (boot to network)-probably because of the bad keyboard.

Got into BIOS, settings OK. CPU running at 122 degrees(f). Pulled out processor, applied new thermal grease. POST hung up.

Pulled out all PCI cards, except graphics card. System booted OK to desktop. Replaced PCI cards one at a time, rebooted till I found that my USB/Firewire PCI card may have caused it to hang at POST.

Put all other cards back in and this time it hung at the Windows Welcome screen. Redoing everything several times ended up with getting through POST to Windows logo screen then to black screen with mouse cursor that moves. Never got it to boot to desktop again.

Pulled out and switched memory chips slots-booted to Windows logo screen then to black screen with mouse cursor.

Ran chkdsk, fixboot, fixmbr from recovery console-black screen w/cursor.
Safe Mode: "safe mode" in corners with working mouse cursor over black screen w/cursor.
console VGA: black screen w/cursor.
Last good...: black screen w/cursor.
Etc for all other options
Made and used floppy XP boot disk-booted to black screen w/cursor (Disk works on other similar PC).

Windows Setup: failed to repair three times.

Tried to install over OS and it stopped with 25 minutes left to go (installing devices), did this twice.

Replace graphics card with old AGP card (NVidia TNT2) booted to black screen w/cursor.

Windows Setup Fresh Install. Parallel Installation. Created WINDOW2 folder on hard drive installed XP to that new folder. Booted to new desktop. Reinstalled all PCI cards except the suspect USB/Firewire card.
Updated Graphics card drivers. Can't install or uninstall Norton Anti Virus 2005-downloaded AVG free AV program for time being. Using Windows Firewall too.

Can see hard drive just as it was. Documents and settings now have old user (Roy) and new user (owner). Some programs will start OK by clicking on the ..exe file in Windows Explorer, other won't and need to be reinstalled (a Registry problem I'm assuming); the problem is, as I found out with Norton AV, I can't uninstall it because I can't access the old Control Panel Add/Remove programs. I would like to uninstall the graphics card software and drivers in the old operating system and do a reinstall and update but can't figure out how.

I would really like to get the old OS running (6 years of data). Any help would be appreciated.

Roy

Antec Case w/ Truepower 2.0 power supply (380 watts) rated for 3.0 Ghz Intel CPU
Intel MOBO D865PERL
RAM: 512 X 2 Ultra PC3200 DDR 400 CL3
Processor: Intel Celeron 340 2.93 Ghz, 533 FSB, socket 478
HHD: Seagate 250 GB, 7200 RPM, 8MB speed, SATA-150 w/NCQ
Graphics: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, 128 MB DDR on board, AGP 8X
Sony DL CD/DVD-RW, burner
Windows XP, SP2, Updated
NAV 2005
Linksys wireless network
Parts purchased through TigerDirect 12/09/05

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online