1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP box "disk read error"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jscard, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jscard

jscard Thread Starter

A colleague has brought into work his home computer, which was experiencing some slowness and was bogged down with some very annoying pop-ups. I told him I'd take a look at it. I ran Hijack This last week . . . (have the log, if it's of interest). Now, the thing will not even reboot. When I attempt to do so, I get the following message:

"A disk read error occurred.
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

Any thoughts? This is a guy's home computer, with pics and docs he needs.

Thanks in advance.

2. 1stoptek

1stoptek

I would try to boot into safe mode with command prompt by tapping F8 when booting the computer, then type chkdsk /r /f in the command line box that comes up.

This could take a while and might correct the errors, but if it won't boot up into safe mode with command prompt, then I would use the repair feature on your windows xp disk and typing in the same chkdks /r /f and see if that fixes whatever became corrupt.

3. jscard

jscard Thread Starter

Thanks. I got it to boot up. But now it's crawling along at an insufferably slow pace. Would it be appropriate to post a Hijack This log at this point? There is clearly something wrong with this machine at present. It took roughly 30-45 minutes for it successfully start up.

4. 1stoptek

1stoptek

I would run CCleaner on the registry fixing part of it first to see if it can re-sort everything to work better. After that I would perform a virus and spyware scan with the programs of your choice. You might be able to perform these actions easier in safe mode (by tapping f8 while the computer is first booting up.) If nothing works, then I would back up all of your valuable data and reload Windows. I hope this information was useful and all goes well.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!