1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP BSOD on bootscreen (STOP 0x000000BE, attempted write readonly memory)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by haanhan, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. haanhan

haanhan Thread Starter

I switched on my PC today and halfway through the boot screen it goes into BSOD.
    The error code goes something like

STOP 0X000000BE (0x**, 0x**,0x**,0x** I don't know whether this bracket part matters)

with the message: attempted to write to readonly memory

The bluescreen immediately turns green with remnants of the loading bar stuck on the screen.

Attempting to go into safe mode results in the same message except it only flashes for a split second (and stays blue) before it auto-restarts.

My PC is a windows XP. I do not have a windows XP CD so I can't boot with that. The only way I can boot right now is to use another hard drive containing XP also using a SATA cable, in case I need to modify files on the "problematic" hard drive. This means that I do not run the problem'ed OS at all when I alternate boot, unless I could find a way to do it.

I do not think it is the haxdoor virus since I couldn't find the driver in problemdrive:/windows/system32/drivers.
    Also, I did not install any new drivers or hardware. The newest hardware I've used so far is a new USB external 2.5 hard drive which seems to work fine for the past week I've been using.

The last time I shutdown, during the shutdown message, I plugged out the USB external hard drive before it is completely off, which I do not know whether it is the cause.

I heard that loading the hive in regedit of "system" from the problemdrive:/windows/system32/config and deleting the stuff under "Mounted drives" can make it work, but it gave the same BSOD when I did that, maybe because the mountmanager thing wasn't able to build the entries since I am using another OS to boot.

Please help, I'm really in need of my PC to do stuff.

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

is the external drive you are booting from actually all working fine with no issues on your pc? if yes then hardware is ok
    if no then hardware /very corrupt xp installation is likely
    possible bad ram ? can you remove 1 of the sticks if you have more than 1 ?
    can you enter bios at all? if so does it have any testing features like dells do??

3. haanhan

haanhan Thread Starter

The drive I am booting from works fine and I am able to enter into windows XP.

I tried with single ram (I have 2) and it still goes into BSOD.

I'm still able to enter BIOS but I don't think there's any testing features built in.

4. daz1

daz1 Banned

so with the external drive attached all is super no issues at all?
    if thats the case you could connect the iffy drive set bios to boot from external drive take off the iffy drive what you need any docs for example and reformat the iffy drive you must get your licence key for future installation, then just use the external drive
    can you get a recovery disc from your computer manufacturer??
    you can still buy xp ebay,microsoft, computer magazines etc
    most compatable linyx with xp is http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT3269115798.html

5. haanhan

haanhan Thread Starter

I'm not really fond of the idea of reformatting since it doesn't really solve the real problem. It's like uprooting a whole tree when a tree branch is diseased. T-T And there's a lot of things to reinstall I suppose... A little inconvenient to do after installing a lot of programs.

I will try to get a disk first, like you mentioned.

But if there is really really no other way, then I guess I will do as you said by reformatting.

6. daz1

daz1 Banned

well if your system is great but only knackered when using the hard drive it does seam best to start afresh
    it can take hours and hours to fix stuff like this or just say " well tried now a nice fresh installation" will fix it, save your drivers etc before you install, consider dual booting? linyx on old reformatted rive and just pop the external in your case,for xp!
    i have run loads desktops off laptop harddrives, infact better actually as smaller
    was going to suggest nlite but you do not have a disc, do any mates have a disc? use that with YOUR licence

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/935408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice