1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP - C drive running out of space!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Kitten6, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kitten6

Kitten6 Thread Starter

I have just installed the important components with Windows Update on my XP. But now my C drive is running out of space... and fast! I only have 57.7mb of free space on my C drive. Where as i have 6.20 gb on my D drive.
    Does anyone know how to make space on C drive; what to be deleted.

Thanx

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Click Start - Search - Files And Folders, select the hard drive( C: ) to look in, then delete everything that appears under:

*.TMP

C:\TEMP\*.*

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\*.*

----------------------------------------------------------------

Go into the C:\WINDOWS folder. If you see any files that look similar to:

$NTUninstall123456$
    KB123456.log
    Q123456.log

delete them.

I'm using "123456" as an example. Don't delete the ones that have an .exe extension, just a .log extension.

(Note: If you don't have "Show all files" selected in Tools - Folder Options, you won't see these)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Right-click the Recycle Bin, then click Properties. If the slider is still set to 10%, move it back to 5%, then apply the change.

Check the amount of space being allocated for System Restore. It's usually set at 12%. Move the slider back until only 800 - 900 MB is allocated for it.

The Recycle Bin has to be emptied of all its junk before you can reclaim the hard drive space.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You might be able to clean up some. Maybe be even a couple of gigs (which would not be very common). But with only a 6 gig drive, this is easily likely to happen again. You might consider getting a larger one that you computer can support for a more long term solution.

4. Kitten6

Kitten6 Thread Starter

i started searching for *.TMP, do i delete all the files ending in .TMP or .tmp? does this make any difference, if it is in capitals or not?

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Del *.tmp

Also, with XP, more of the temporary files are likely to be located in
    C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Local Settings\Temp

Where USER NAME is replace by your login name.

6. Techmonkeys

Techmonkeys

How big is your C: ?

How much memory do you have in your PC?

On average windows XP needs about 2gb of hard drive space, so if you only have a 2gb Hard Disk you may be in trouble and have to consider swapping your windows install onto your other Hard Disk.

Alternatively do a search on your machine your machine, but in the search box, click "Search Options" select "Size" then put in "at least" 512000kb. This will find all files on your machine that over 1/2 a gigabyte in size, see if you have any temp files or such that are abnormally large and then delete them.

It could also be a good idea to clear all your temporary internet files, I once ran out of space cos I hadnt done it in over a year and had 19gb of temp internet files.

7. Kitten6

Kitten6 Thread Starter

Thanx, but that didn't clear very much of off my C drive, i now have 70.4mb.
    anything else i can do?

8. Kitten6

Kitten6 Thread Starter

My C drive is only 1.94 gb in total. I have 128mb of Ram.
    I did what you suggested 'The Kid' and i ran a search, but it didn't come up with anything.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You can try clearing your Temporary Internet Cache.

But given that your C drive is only 1.94 gigs, you are likely going to continue running into this problem for a long time. I would again recommend getting a larger hard drive.

10. Kitten6

Kitten6 Thread Starter

thanx for yor help.

11. Techmonkeys

Techmonkeys

Agreed.

1.94 Gb is not really enough for windows these days, sad I know but it is the truth.

2gb is the recomended minimum, but if you take your page file into account then really I would recomend having something close to 4bg for your windows drive.

I would reinstall windows on 6.4Gb drive you have and use the 1.94gb one as your data drive.

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Are these two different drives (C: and D:) or a single drive with two partitions?

If it is a single drive, this might have been one of those instances where having a single large partition would have been a better configuration.

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you are going to go through all the time of a full reinstall, might as well get a larger drive in the process. Just make sure your computer can support whatever size you get. For example, if you have a somewhat older computer, it might not support a larger 120 gig or so drive.

But at least you will have more space

You can save any data you have on the current C: or D: drives and copy them afterwards.

14. Techmonkeys

Techmonkeys

Acrtually another thought you could put your paging file on the second drive.

Right click my computer, go to properties, then click the Advanced tab at the top, click the performace options button, then click the "change" button under Virtual Memory, select your D: and below put the numbers in as they appear on your C: above and click Set. then select your C: and set the minimum and maximum to 0 and click Set, now reboot your machine and this should free up some space on your HDD as well as giving you a small performance increase.

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Again, this might free up a little space, but as you mentioned, even after a cleanup, you only have 70 megs, which is almost nothing at all. Given that your paging file is not likely to be that large either, this will again only be a stop gap measure. As you already noticed just downloading the windows updates filled up your drive. But it will certainly help you limp along for a while. Until it fills up again.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329213

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice