1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP can ping/browse out, others can ping/browse in

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dlewis7444, Apr 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dlewis7444

dlewis7444 Thread Starter

192.168.0.6 - Windows XP machine with the problem
    192.168.0.2 - Other Windows XP machine
    192.168.0.3 - Windows 98 machine

.2 and .3 can ping each other and see each other's shares. .6 can ping and see everybody, including itself.

.6 shows up under the other computers' Network Neighborhood/Places but when we double-click on it, it gives an error. Other computers pinging .6 just timeout. "net view" shows nameof.6, but "net view \\nameof.6" returns error.

Tried running winsockxpfix.exe, tried removing nic from Device Manager and reinstalling, tried removing all clients/services and reinstalling (except TCP/IP, since it won't let me).

.6 has other issues too. Under properties for the LAN, Advanced Tab, it shows only an error "can't display. the Windows Management Infrastructure might be corrupted." And, "net view" from a command prompt returns, "System error 64 has occurred. The specified network name is no longer available."

Suggestions? Diagnostics? Things to try?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Try this:

For this command, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset [log_file_name]

Note: the log_file_name needs to be specified, e.g. netsh int ip reset reset.log

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You can ping by IP address which is good.
    Can you also ping by Name?

Can you run the net view command by IP address rather than name?

Never seen the error "Windows Management Infrastructure might be corrupted". Couldn't find it on the Internet either.

4. dlewis7444

Ok, tried "netsh int ip reset x.log"

WARNING: Could not obtain host information from machine: [REBEKAH]. Some commands may not be available.
    The dependency service or group failed to start.

> You can ping by IP address which is good.
    > Can you also ping by Name?

I can ping out from .6 by address or name. I cannot ping IN to .6 by either.
    "ping rebekah" returns "unknown host". "ping 192.168.0.6" times out.

> Can you run the net view command by IP address rather than name?

No, "net view \\192.168.0.6" returns "...cannot be located."

I've got a WinXP CD and will try to reload Windows. I'm experienced with earlier versions of Windows but my XP experience is quite limited. Not sure what I can do with it, but I will play around and let you know my results.

Any other ideas to try?

5. Subby

Subby

You could try reinstalling your network card drivers, download the last NIC driver for your interface card and also check and see if you have Windows Firewall turned on, usually by default it is.

6. dlewis7444

I did remove the card from Device Manager earlier. It was reinstalled auto-magically after a reboot. Didn't try looking for newer drivers. Firewall was off and when I tried to turn it on, it wouldn't - gave some error which I've forgotten now.

I finished reinstalling Windows last night. That fixed the problem. Caused a bunch of other problems but I'm slowly fixing them. Not sure I like working on Windows XP.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/355746

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice