XP,can you advise me please

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

swoppy

My grandson and my daughter decided that PC weighted down so decided to clean it up.What they didnt do was add/remove progs and delete most junk first.What they did do was try to reinstall XP on top of XP.I was thinking they would delete,reformat and re-install.We now have message saying that XP cannot load windows,because a Dll is missing.Cannot get into safe mode to get into control panel to delete,reformat and reinstall.Have genuine microsoft windows XP.Or any way I can get windows 98 back onto machine,to restart Windows for which I have a boot disk.Exactly what have I to do to try to get machine operational. :)

Thank you for taking the time to read this post,allan.

If the computer will boot with the XP cd then just follow on-screen instructions and do a clean install.

swoppy

CouchMaster said:
If the computer will boot with the XP cd then just follow on-screen instructions and do a clean install.
Thank you,I cannot get the PC to boot with XP,it will load very slowly and eventually after both yellow bars are finishing will give error message saying install cannot continue as a dll is missing.

If you want to perform a clean install of XP, enter BIOS ( Setup ) and set the first boot device as CD/ROM. Put your XP Disc in the drive and disconnect all external peripherals except the monitor, keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB, or wireless. Any internal USB card should also be removed.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from CD" . . do that and you will be able to delete partitions and recreate the ones you want and proceed to formating and installing XP

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. This will delete all data on the drive so be sure you have your important data backed up.

These are good guides to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print one for reference during the install.

http://www.socrtwo.info/cleanxpinstall.htm
http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

You will have to reload drivers (Chipset first) and applications, After the installation, you will need to download and install SP-2, while windows is clean. Prior to connecting to the internet be sure you enable the XP firewall.

Have fun . . wrs

swoppy

simpswr said:
If you want to perform a clean install of XP, enter BIOS ( Setup ) and set the first boot device as CD/ROM. Put your XP Disc in the drive and disconnect all external peripherals except the monitor, keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB, or wireless. Any internal USB card should also be removed.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from CD" . . do that and you will be able to delete partitions and recreate the ones you want and proceed to formating and installing XP

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. This will delete all data on the drive so be sure you have your important data backed up.

These are good guides to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print one for reference during the install.

http://www.socrtwo.info/cleanxpinstall.htm
http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

You will have to reload drivers (Chipset first) and applications, After the installation, you will need to download and install SP-2, while windows is clean. Prior to connecting to the internet be sure you enable the XP firewall.

Have fun . . wrs
Many thanks,that is going to be my next attempt at reinstallation,will keep forum advised.

RAM-PAGE

Banned
You could try a repair from the Recovery Console...

See part of the Clean Installing XP page. (Link below.)

swoppy

RAM-PAGE said:
You could try a repair from the Recovery Console...

See part of the Clean Installing XP page. (Link below.)

Thank you,nuther string to try.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online