1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP cannot connect; ipconfig displays nothing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by KenWD0ELQ, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KenWD0ELQ

KenWD0ELQ Thread Starter

Hi, folks. I've seen this question asked before, but I haven't seen an answer that works for this situation.

It was probably just a fluke, but I was installing an interesting WiFi monitoring program yesterday (http://www.freewarefiles.com/MyWIFIzone_program_14124.html, if you're interested - but DO NOT install this!). It prompted for a reboot, so I did. The PC wouldn't come back up, so I rebooted again; same thing. So I rebooted into Safe Mode, and discovered that I couldn't uninstall software in Safe Mode. I deleted the program directory, and rebooted again.

Now the fun started. Windows prompted me to reactivate XP Pro SP3, because of "significant hardware changes". But I couldn't, because I couldn't connect to the network - ANY network. I opened a cmd wiindow and tried "ipconfig /all", which returned "Windows IP Configuration" and _nothing else_.

I started getting errors about NCS2PROV.exe, which is apparently the network driver for my Intel 965DH motherboard, so I removed the LAN connection, reinstalled the drivers and re-enabled it. No luck. I figured that the onboard network connection had failed so I tried installing a USB WiFi device, with no success. I even tried doing a repair of Windows, without success. I tried looking for a restore point, but for some reason there are none prior to the crash and the oldest one didn't help.

At this point, Windows still is nagging to reactivate, I have no network connectivity on this machine AT ALL, and I have tried everything I can think of.

At this point, I'm grasping at straws. Any suggestions, before I nuke the system and reinstall Windoze from scratch? Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970785

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice