1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Can't boot normally after CPU Upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Illuminaughty, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty Thread Starter

PC: HP a1100y

Upgraded Celeron D to Pentium 4

After CPU the processor was installed I attempted to boot normally and the 1st time it worked - but Windows said "you may need to restart your computer for hardware to perform properly [paraphrasing]" so I restart...

Now when I select "Windows XP Professional" attempt to boot normally it just restarts the PC. It also does this in SAFE (and SAFE with Cmd, Ntwrk Prompt, etc.)

It just so happens that I use an app called TuneUp Utilities and there's an option during startup for "Windows XP Professional (TuneUp Backup)" which I tried when all else failed (Last Known Good, etc) and it boots just fine.

My question is: How can I repair XP so I can boot normally? I've tried checking the disk(s) but not much help, and while there's a lot of folks offering different solutions (repair install, or god forbid- fresh install) I thought that my ability to boot through TuneUp might offer a clue as to what's ailing me.

Thanks for any help

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

You have a messed up master boot record, which the utility probably did for you. You need to refresh "fixboot" and "fix mbr" from prompt in Recovery Console but that needs an XP cd booted to.

3. Illuminaughty

Thank you Rich,

A question: do you think this 'repair' will require reactivation of Windows?

Obliged :)

Ps. Nice sig ;)

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

No that should not require activation.

5. Illuminaughty

Real quick: Can I start up normally, then select RC with XP cd in the tray? Or do I need to boot from the XP cd and find RC and the currently installed OS from there?

Thank you very much, Rich.

I shall post back the results (as soon as I finish full backups).

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

No boot to Xp cd. BTW if asked for Admin Password and you have none just put cursor in and click nothing and then hit "enter".

7. Illuminaughty

I need a little more help from ya Rich (so far you're been exceptionally helpful),

Can you tell me how to to perform FIXBOOT & FIXMBR on multiple drives?
    I have XP currently installed on D: and C: (D: is the primary and both are SATA) and am not really sure if, when I run these commands, I'm using the proper syntax and therefore repairing the right partition.
    I'm afraid RC is defaulting to C: and repairing my other (old) ver. of XP

I realize I might be asking a lot here, but even a link in the right direction would really be appreciated.

Thank you very much

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Change drive prompt from C: to D: and then type in fixboot and later fixmbr same way.

9. Illuminaughty

Thanks Rich,
    I'm on it.

[Quick side note: If I perform System Restore I'm able to boot into XP normally - until Windows installs the new drivers for the CPU - then when I reboot I'm back to square one.]

10. Illuminaughty

Well Rich, I tried...

Doesn't look like FIXBOOT/FIXMBR are enough to quite do it.

According to some other folks I've talked to a repair install is the only thing that will fix this issue. But that poses another problem; my OS is OEM, and even with an XP CD I don't think I can perform any type of reinstallation of this particular OS (me thinks my key is good once and once only).

So, do you think if I go buy a valid copy of XP Professional and try to run a repair install I'll be able to keep my current files/apps/settings (this is paramount) even though I'll obviously have a new product key?

Thank you

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

HP's have a non destructive recovery from Recovery Partition which will not touch your files or data. Tap F10 continuously after pressing the power button and until you get the option to use Recovery partition...it has to tell you it will save files and data though as I have not repaired every single model, then go forward with it.

12. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

I'd say that is your problem and you are going to have to do a re-install, not a restore. Unless you replace with exact same hardware it originally had.

13. Illuminaughty

Do ya think after purchasing a new copy of XP Pro I'll be able to repair install (in place) with the new key? As long as the purchased XP is at least as 'new' as the installed XP?

What I'm wondering is: will there be a problem with the keys being different (the OEM and the purchased)? Because if I cannot keep my software, files and configs - I might as well boot through TuneUp ad infinitum.

14. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

If you hadn't changed the model of hardware, you could use any XP CD to do the repair.

The problem is it is OEM which is licensed to the specific hardware type it came with.

You will be able to repair, but the license is still tied to the other hardware and therefore invalid.

If you re-install with new XP, you will be valid, but will lose software and apps so will have to re-install them as well. You will also need to obtain hardware drivers first.

I would call/e-mail HP and see what can be done.

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

If you run the "repair" with the Ms cd and it is the same as is on there i.e " XP Home" or XP Pro", then you will have all the programs and data there, just a new Coa is all. You will have to do any added service packs and some Windows Updates.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756123

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice