1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP causes shutdown?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jgblake, Dec 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jgblake

jgblake Thread Starter

I upgraded a Gateway 450 P3 with 512 ram from Win98 to XP. Everything worked fine until I unplugged it and moved it to another location to make room for a new 1.8 machine. When I fired it back up I got an error message that the system was halted because of a memory parity error. Memory chips check out as fine. I took it to Gateway, and they reformated the hard drive and put Win98 back on it. OK. I tried again to upgrade to XP with a "new install", and it waited until it was almost finished and got the same error and shutdown again. It runs fine with 98 (again I have reinstalled). It ran fine (actually, great) for the two weeks after I originally put XP on it. Now, I am stuck again. I have pulled all of the adapter cards, emptied the start-up files, and just about everything else that the Microsoft document says to do. Before I try again, thought I would see what any of you have as suggestions. Like I said, it ran fine for two weeks before I moved it. Now....

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would remove the cover and give it a good cleaning with compressed air. Then reseat everything such as cpu, ram, video card, and ide cables. After that has been done do a clean install with just the hd, video card, and floppy installed. Then install cards and other drives one at a time. I think when you moved the computer something came loose or is now not making a good connection. Make sure that prior to installing you run fdisk to recreate your partitions then run fdisk /mbr to rebuild the master boot record. This should give you a really clean install.
    One last thing make sure you back-up anything you want to keep, fdisk and format will wipe out everything on your hd.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One last thing you said you have 512 of ram. If that is more than one chip, I would use just one ram chip. Install the others after you have xp up and running.

4. jgblake

jgblake Thread Starter

CRJDRIVER:

Thanks for the reply. I have already done what you said, tried that before taking back to Gateway. I was finally able to get it to run awhile, but after about 30 minutes, it locked up again. I runs fine on 98, but that is not why I bought XP. It is running 98 SE right now, and no problems. Just seems to act up when I try XP.

5. jgblake

jgblake Thread Starter

Just came from Microsoft support site. Tech bulletin Q222973 shows causes and possible corrections for this problem. However, I have already done what was suggested, no help. My head scratcher is: why does the system do fine under 98 and lock up under XP?:confused:

6. Dan O

Dan O

Have you updated the BIOS?

If so I would bet it's your memory that is the problem. Do you have no name memory installed in the PC? It does make a different. The reason it worked with 98 but not XP is that XP is really working it out. Windows 98 runs much slower and only uses the first 64MB for the core OS. And the reason why it may have worked at first is it on a border line but the move took a toll on it. Stranger things have happened with PCs.

7. jgblake

jgblake Thread Starter

Thanks Dan-O. I have reinstalled 98 and last date upgraded to ME, which I tried before XP, but which crashed it. It runs fine now under ME, and that was not possible before. I will try one more time to put XP on, but as an upgrade this time. Like I said, it ran great for about 2 weeks with XP until I disconnected and re-connected it. Will let you know what happens. (May replace memory chips also). Thanks again.;)

8. Dan O

Dan O

Good luck. A buddy of mine had a wake up problem connected to cheap memory as well, which surprised me. He tried Kingston memory and the problem when away. And like you the PC was working find for months before the problem started. Maybe it's sun spots?

9. jgblake

jgblake Thread Starter

Thanks! I tried XP again last eve, and it loaded fine, then the same thing started again. I have reverted to ME so that it will run on the network at least. Next stop, new memory.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60894

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice