1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP clean install but no modem ??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 65darkhorse, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 65darkhorse

65darkhorse Thread Starter

help! I had installed software that screwed up my comm ports or modem ... so that my modem (connected via USB) no longer 'synchronized,' leaving me with no internet access and a hefty monthly monthyl bill.

I tried: uninstalling the software in question (sony camera), no good, reinstalling the modem software, nada, restore points? those didn't work.

Then I tried reinstalling XP, and that didn't work. So I backed up everything I had onto a PSD, uninstalled XP and used the recovery Millenium cds that came with my puter to completely reinstall windows (which was fine by me, forced me to clean up my files).

So I'm thinking great, I'll reinstall the software for the modem, and we're good to go !! WRONG !!! :mad: :mad: Modem still fails to synchronize ... I've got no idea what do to next (besides using a stress management approved baseball bat on my pc, that is)

Can anyone help ?? I'm at wits end.

Thanks !

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    whats the modem ?? is it part of a PC Laptop if so whats the make model.

have a look in device manager and see whats there
    > start > control panel > system > hardware > device manager

if it has yellow trianges against it with ! marks or ? marks.

if so try removing from device manager - then when you reboot it should detect new hardware, then you will need the correct drivers for the modem device.

3. tnik

tnik

try going into the device manager ((windows key + pause/break) --> Hardware Tab --> Device Manager) and removing any modem instance from there, any yellow question-marks is a dead giveaway of a problem, re-boot, and either letting windows install the modem, or re-installing it manually if windows doesn't take the inititative..

sometimes just re-installing the drivers isn't enough..

dammit, etaf types faster than me..

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218306

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice