Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

XP Closing down?

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
We had the radio on this morning and have just heard that Microsoft are no longer going to have XP. They went on to say users would have to buy new things such as Windows 8 etc. or be at risk of the system being targeted by hackers and so people would be at risk; they (we) should buy tablets with different programes etc., Is this true and why when so many people aill be unable to switch due to cost and also because many of us older people find the new Tablers, IPhones etc.,difficult to use and understand. Surely such a large organization such as Microsoft should carry on with the 35% of us who have XP and do not want to change?
Kind regards.......Margaret

#3 ·
I think I am still using Windows 5.1 but have Service Pack 3 if I have understood the way to check this information. However I still do not know if my computer will work safely and be secure without Microsoft and just using Avast for security. I certainly cannot afford to go and buy a new computer as they suggest and feel a little annoyed that this decision to end support for XP has only come out now. Shouldn't Microsoft have said this a couple of years ago to give people time to plan for it? Also is there no alternative to Windows? Any help in simple terms will be appreciated.
kind regards............Margaret

#4 ·
Margaret:

Windows XP "going dead" on April 8, 2014 was first announced over a year ago, so I'm surprised you just heard about it today.

Several antivirus companies have agreed to continue to support Windows XP for the next year or two, but it'll still be vulnerable from hackers and security exploits after it "goes dead".

As long as you don't use it for on-line banking and on-line purchases and you don't keep personal sensitive data stored in it that can be accessed, you should be okay to use it after the "going dead" date.

---------------------------------------------------------

#5 ·
Thank you Flavalle and your reply is much appreciated. I had a bad heart attack last March and only recently have I begun to use the computer for something other than emails!

I don't use internet banking but we do buy on line. We always use the bank safety checks so hopefully we shall be ok.

Tablets and laptops are very expensive at present however I am saving towards a Tablet for my husbands birthday in a few months time and then we can be sure we are secure.

Once again many thanks for the clear explanation.......king regards Margaret

#6 ·
Have you been keeping up with and installing the high-priority updates that Microsoft releases on the second Tuesday of every month?

Those monthly high-priority updates are important because they address and fix security exploits and other issues.

-----------------------------------------------------------

#7 ·
Have you been keeping up with and installing the high-priority updates that Microsoft releases on the second Tuesday of every month?

Those monthly high-priority updates are important because they address and fix security exploits and other issues.

Hello again....I often get the notice when logging off 'do not switch off your computer installing updates' but I do not know where or how to check which dates they are installed. I've tried looking at the Microsoft website download section but that did not answer my question. Could you advise me where to look?

Thank you for being so helpful...........Margaret

#8 ·
You apparently have your computer set to automatically download and install updates, so make sure you do NOT turn it off while updates are installing.

----------------------------------------------------------

Right-click My Computer, then left-click Properties - Windows Update.

Is it set to automatically download and install updates, or is it on another setting?

#9 ·
Margaret:

Using IE, go to MS Updates
http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

In the left pane under Options is a link "Review your update history".
When you click it, you will get a list of all the updates (10 per page) that have been installed on your computer. Shows the name of the update, if it was sucessful and the date done.

The list is in reverse order with page one being the latest.
The list for my computer is 62 pages long. I think 622 since the computer was first bought in 2007.

Attachments

#10 ·
You apparently have your computer set to automatically download and install updates, so make sure you do NOT turn it off while updates are installing.

Right-click My Computer, then left-click Properties - Windows Update.

Is it set to automatically download and install updates, or is it on another setting?

No it isn't it is set to let me choose - I am trying to attach a thumbnail (2nd try) so here goes......

Attachments

#11 ·
Select the option directly below the option you currently have selected, then apply the change.

When new updates are released, the yellow shield will appear in the taskbar to alert you that new updates are available to be downloaded and installed.

This gives YOU full control over when YOU want to download and install them.

With the option you currently have selected, new updates automatically download without your knowledge, but they don't automatically install.

#12 ·
I have done that flavallee and many thanks for all your help. I did try to do what dlsayremn suggested but the web site seemed to be unavailable even when I went on to Microsoft.but hopefully I have got all the updates I should have. Once again thank you so much............kind regards Margaret

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.