1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Comp cannot access shared folder on Linux Comp

Discussion in 'Networking' started by setione, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. setione

setione Thread Starter

I recently set up a workgroup called "workgroup" so that my two PC's could share files.

The XP comp is called Qing, and can access the workgroup and log onto the linux server called Han (running Fedora 6 with Samba) . Once logged onto Han from Qing, I can see the shared folder, but when i try to access it I get the following message:

"\\Han\share is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found."

On Han, the linux comp, I have set up a shared folder called "share" with full permissions.
    I have enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP and rebooted and still no luck,
    I have searched the internet and these forums for a similar problem but was unable to find anything that I could use.

Any help would be great!

thanks

2. setione

setione Thread Starter

3. arsetard

arsetard

try downloading winscp .. usually works.

4. jmwills

jmwills

You have permiisions on the file, but what about the share or vice versa. Sharing Folders and Files requires two sets of permissions.

5. setione

setione Thread Starter

Sorry for the delayed response, but

I have made sure that the folder and the files inside are accessable to others on the network, and I still get that error message about the "Network path not found"

thanks

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What in the world would this have to do with standard network browsing? I suggest you read the issue before suggesting solutions. I don't think he's looking for an FTP solution.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That's frequently a firewall issue.

8. setione

setione Thread Starter

Thanks for the response:

So, I turned off the firewall on the Linux comp (Han) and restarted both computers and as before I can still log onto Han and view the "share" folder I created but when trying to access it I get the same message.

There is one difference now. Before, when I tried to access the shared folder on Han, the XP machine would 'think' about it for about 30 sec before returning with the error, now it happens right away with no lag time. I don't know if this has any relevence.

thanks

9. setione

setione Thread Starter

10. setione

setione Thread Starter

11. setione

setione Thread Starter

12. jmwills

jmwills

Turning off the firewall may have been only step one of two for that product. See if it has an associated service running with it too and shut it down.

Can you ping from one to the other? If os, then most likely it is a permissions issues. If not, then it is a firewall problem.

13. setione

setione Thread Starter

ok, sorry its been a few days, but here it is:

I can ping both computers from each other with no packet loss. And I have shut down the Linux Firewall with the associated security program SELinux.

At this point, the prob still remains. I can log onto the Linux server (Han), and can see the shared folder, but I get the same error message as mentioned above.

Now, under the properties of the "share" folder, I have given everyone on the network the ability to "Acess files" in the folder, and for the test file I want to share, I have given "Read and write" permissions.

If there is a permissions problem, I cannot find one, and I have searched! But, I am new and could have easily overlooked something.

thanx for the help,

14. setione

setione Thread Starter

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/606660

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice