1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Computer boots up but won't run

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheRobatron, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheRobatron

TheRobatron Thread Starter

My computer (XP 64-bit - see my computer specs) was working fine yesterday but this morning it started acting strangely. When it is booting up, all the white spaces are replaced with apostrophe characters and there are lines across some sections of it and the Windows logo. These are consistant every time it happens, so it's not the monitors or interferance. After it has finished booting, my moniters just say "No signal input", where the login screen should be.

It works fine in safe mode which is a good sign, but I'm not sure what to change in safe mode to make it work in normally. All I have done this morning to change it is change around the VGA and DVI cables of my other computers to put them through a KVM switch, so it should not have affected my main PC. Yesterday I removed the cover for a minute (would that make a difference?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What happens when you connect the system directly to a monitor ie without the switch?

3. TheRobatron

It's already connected directly to the monitors - they have two inputs on them so my main PC is connected directly to both and the KVM switch connects two more PCs to the other input on one of the monitors. I don't think it's a problem with the output because one of the monitors is only connected to my main PC and that has the same problem.

I hope that's clear enough.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you done any troubleshooting such as uninstall and reinstall the video driver?

Before doing the above, either make an image file for backup OR at least make a restore point.

5. TheRobatron

No, how would I go about doing that?

Edit: I'm currently on my PC in safe mode. I've looked at the error log for Windows and found the error that's stopping Windows from starting:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
    AmdK8
    AvgMfx64
    Fips

How do I find those drivers?

I've also looked at the application error log and found that it's AVG messing up, with about 100 errors, occurring twice or three times a second.

6. TheRobatron

AVG says the installation is broken (never! :eek:) and that I should reinstall it. I have a paid licence for it - does anyone know if I can just re-enter the code and be able to coninue using it if I do reinstall it (which seems like my only option)?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have installed avg many many times with the same serial number. It is no problem at all.

8. TheRobatron

I have uninstalled AVG but I still have two drivers that aren't found:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
    AmdK8
    Fips

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Any ideas on how to get rid of this error?

9. TheRobatron

I think you were right about installing the video drivers. It seems Microsoft in their infinite wisdom have updated my PC and messed up my video drivers. The only problem is I can't find where to download drivers for my ATI Radeon X1050 graphics card. The ATI site doesn't have drivers for that specific card - will one close to it work?

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is a pretty old card now. I checked the driver archive and the 7.12 driver supports that card. With a 32bit os, it would be no problem however with 64bit the driver must be signed. You might be able to install the later one however I would download the older [7.12] and install that one.

To properly install your driver;
    1 Uninstall any video driver and or software suite
    2 Reboot and cancel any found new hw wiz
    3 Install the driver.

FWIW I just install the ati driver and NOT CCC.

11. TheRobatron

Where did you find the driver? I couldn't see it on the ATI site.

BTW I'm going away for the weekend, so won't be able to see if it works until Tuesday.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have to check the driver archive. I will see if I can link to that page.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Here is the link. Select the 7.12 driver and if you read the release notes, it will show it supports your card.

ATI driver archive

14. TheRobatron

Thanks very much for your reply - I've started to download the driver. Sorry I didn't reply earlier - I didn't seem to get an email notification.

EDIT: The driver didn't work, so I'm downloading the CCC to see if that works. I managed to find the original CD with the drivers on, but it got stuck installing it. I've heard that other people have had problems with their graphics drivers after a Windows update.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, there is a MS update that installs a newer driver for ati cards.

Have you uninstalled the MS update then attempted the driver install?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702293

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice