1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp computer connects to 1 of 3 computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jimodity, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimodity

jimodity Thread Starter

I have spent the day reading threads and managed to get a new XP computer onto my old 2 computer win98se network. My other XP only connected to one of the computer's on my old win98 network and I treated both XP's the same.

My win 98's had NETBEUI loaded but my XP's didn't - so I loaded it on them. All four computers have Zone alarm and I have lowered the Zone Alarm internal security shield on all four computers. All 4 computers have a DSL connection and connect to the internet independently through a hub.

I did do something different to the XP that wasn't responding and I some how made an extra bridge which afterward is when it started to see the one win98 computer it does see. And that win98 computer is the only one to see all 3 other computers. The other two computers only see 2 others.

The IP's for the two win98's are:
    The IP for the XP that works is:
    The problem XP's IP was:
    before I made a bridge and now the bridge has:

:confused: Please help the confused!:(

2. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

First question:

Can you ping each computer from each computer?

Also, I would shut down zone alarm while you try to get the networking going that way you can rule it out.

Another thing, do you XP computers have the build in firewall turned on? (Right-click Network Places and choose properties...Right-click Local Area Connection and choose properties. Click the advanced tab and make sure the XP firewall is off.)

You posted that you're using a hub. So how is your network setup? Which computer does the ethernet cable go from the DSL modem to first?

3. jimodity

jimodity Thread Starter

Thanks, Mithrilhall

I just lucked out!
    I didn't think my computer was an XP Pro because it doesn't say it is and I got it from HP Shopping and didn't expect it to be. But it behaves like it is a Pro. I had given one of the XP's a log on network name as I had read in the networking threads to do if you had an Pro version of XP. And it turned out that it was the one XP that was able to join the exiting win98network. Then I I remembered also reading that all the XP Pro computers on the network need to have the same network logon names. This didn't make sense to me but I just gave it a try and all four computers are on the network.

4. eurodat

eurodat

ermmmmm :confused:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166090

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice