1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Computer Problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by karent, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karent

karent Thread Starter

The only a little information on the computer I'm asking about, so bear with me. It has XP Home on it, but doesn't have the "blue" business on the left hand side - it is white. I clicked on folders to get rid of that and enable me to see the folders on the left side.

I was helping a friend with her computer and, while hitting CNTRL + A, my finger was resting on the CNTRL for several seconds. Then, all of a sudden, I got a message on the screen saying something like - when holding down the cntrl button too long......something could happen to some key. The msg didn't stay on long enough for me to read it totally.

Now, of course, we can't do anything w/the computer. If I click on a file or folder, the 8 or 9 files/folders above are also highlighted. I am reasonably intelligent on the computer, though I just got XP for this last Christmas, so there is a bit of a learning curve going on. But I have no clue as to what happened.

The lady's son has now been working on it for over 4 hours! And he, supposedly, knows about computers but he has been unable to find the cause of the problem. He did uninstall McAfee avg because she had bought the wrong one; she wasn't going to put it back on because she could use the Grisoft AVG program for free!

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions with what little info I've provided, I would appreciate it!

Tks

KarenT in Texas

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Try a system restore to a date before you messed with it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544689

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice