XP Config Files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kolias

I use my Laptop to control my CNC and recently I had to re install a couple of time XP which is fine but I find it very frastrating to re do my configuration for the Desktop, Windows Explorer, Fonds size, Colours etc.

I only have a copy of the WPA.DBL so I dont have to call MS to re activate.

But where XP keeps the configuration files when I make all the changes? I guess if I knew where these files are I could copy them on the same CD that I have the WPA.DBL and then after XP is installed I could just copy these files to where they belong and I’m all set.

If you copy the entire Documents and Settings file for your username you should be able to impose that on the new system and see the same settings you had before. Sadly, you can't do that copying process within the GUI while files are in use so an external source would be needed - a Linux LiveCD perhaps.

Have you tried the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard? Go Start to Run and in the Open box type migwiz.exe and press Enter then follow the instructions.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts