1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Config Files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Kolias, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

I use my Laptop to control my CNC and recently I had to re install a couple of time XP which is fine but I find it very frastrating to re do my configuration for the Desktop, Windows Explorer, Fonds size, Colours etc.

I only have a copy of the WPA.DBL so I dont have to call MS to re activate.

But where XP keeps the configuration files when I make all the changes? I guess if I knew where these files are I could copy them on the same CD that I have the WPA.DBL and then after XP is installed I could just copy these files to where they belong and I’m all set.

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

If you copy the entire Documents and Settings file for your username you should be able to impose that on the new system and see the same settings you had before. Sadly, you can't do that copying process within the GUI while files are in use so an external source would be needed - a Linux LiveCD perhaps.

Have you tried the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard? Go Start to Run and in the Open box type migwiz.exe and press Enter then follow the instructions.

3. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

I will try the Transfer Wizard, sounds good

Thank you

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!