1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP & Cookies Name In Home Edition

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by leem, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leem

leem Thread Starter

My cookies are coming in with the use of my full name which I definitely do not want. I understand this can be rectified by changing the user account name and in XP Pro this is a relatively easy task because it uses a snap in for the MMC (lusrmgr.msc is the snap in) which makes various options including renaming available. However, I have the Home edition and though it has the lusrmgr.msc file the attempt to activate it results in a message to the effect that this snap in will not function in the Home edition. I understand the edit can still be made however I believe by using cmd.exe which in my case presents me with C:\Documents and Settings\my name> where my name is my actual name first and last. Beyond that point my references dry up and I do not know how to proceed with what should be a relatively simple task. Does anyone have a clue how to get the job done either via cmd.exe, a Registry edit or perhaps a way to enable luscrmgr.msc in the Home edition?

2. The_Egg

The_Egg

I might have misunderstood you here, not sure, but this is just a suggestion . . .
    You can change the username for the account via:
    Control Panel -> User Accounts
    Just click on your profile and select "change my name"

Or maybe I misunderstood, and what you actually want to do is keep the same username, but just change the way cookies are named . . . and if this is the case, then sad to say, but it beats me.

3. leem

leem Thread Starter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116921

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice