1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Crash: unmountable_boot_volume

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jhawk, Jun 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jhawk

jhawk Thread Starter

Hi,
    I just restarted my computer and it would just go to the splash screen and reboot and do it again and again. So I disabled automatic reboot and got a BS of unmountable_boot_volume with a 0xC000006 second digit group.

So, I booted Windows Recovery Console and tried "chkdsk /r" and it came back with "the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems." chkdsk came back with that too. Any ideas?

btw, I booted Linux off a CD and am currently recovering my files that weren't backed up.

I can't use sysinfo (obviously), but it's XP Home Edition running on a Dell Dimension 3000, 2 GB RAM, Pentium 4 CPU, and if you need more info, let me know.

Thanks!

2. srhoades

srhoades

Your hard drive is failing. You will need to reinstall Windows on a new hard drive.

3. jhawk

jhawk Thread Starter

Is there any other options?

4. srhoades

srhoades

Well, you can try a local wizard to cast a spell on it to magically fix the failing hard drive. Other than that I don't know what to tell you. The hard drive is failing, it has to be replaced.

5. jhawk

jhawk Thread Starter

Ok, thanks. :) If I formatted the drive using KillDisc, would the HD work again for a clean installation of Windows?

6. srhoades

srhoades

No. The drive has bad sectors. These are areas that the drive can no longer read and write to. You need a brand new hard drive.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1056205