1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Crashed... How can I recover data?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cmseth, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cmseth

cmseth Thread Starter

Help!

XP locked up tonight and I had to do a hard power off. When I attempted to re-boot, I now get a system error C000012 Registry File Failure. It then goes on to say it dumped the physical memory and to contact tech support, because you don't have a prayer of chance of fixing this. Okay, the last part was my wording. When I shut down and turned it on again, I'm now getting a Unmountable_boot_volume error. It goes on to say it is stopping the boot process so I don't do any damage.

When I called Dell, they tell me that the drive MUST be reformatted and there is no way to save the data. They also said any data recovery attempt would be futile. Of course, I haven't backed up in a while, so I am in a panic -- data files that cannot be replaced.

I just can't believe that this data can't be restored. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

it depends on what drives are installed on your pc. if you have 2 hard drives or a cd burner you can use a knoppix linux cd.

3. biggmc

biggmc

4. chakorules

chakorules

Hopefully you have another XP machine somewhere. If so, remove the the hard drive from the crashed machine and install it as a slave into a working XP machine.

Then copy all files from

/windows/repair
    folder

to the:

/windows/system32/config

After that, some applications may not run, like : MS Office or any other software they have installed etc...But once you recover Windows, you can re-install those software applications that won't run if they have the original cd-rom.

If you can't see the files I told you above, you have to enable hidden files.

Open an Explorer window, click on TOOLS, then FOLDER OPTIONS. click on the VIEW tab. Find the button, "show hidden files and folders", UNCHECK the button "hide protected operating system files". This will allow Windows Explorer to see the repair and config32 folders that are normally hidden...

Or while you have it installed as SLAVE, backup what you need, and REFORMAT the crashed drive.

Or...you can boot into recovery console and do a manual SYSTEM RESTORE in DOS COMMANDS...it will take while to explain that process....hopefully you'll just copy the repair folder and be done with it...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221434

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice