1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Xp crashes every now and then with black screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bcn, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bcn

bcn Thread Starter

Hi,

I have windows xp and just yesterday I am having this problem, my comp. shuts down by itself... sometimes I get this blue screen, unfortunately I wasn't able to get the error code number because it disappears too fast. I really do not know what's happening. My computer was just recently cleaned from malwares but I still have this problem of crashing.

Yesterday, I also got a message if I would like to restore my computer to the factory settings, I chose cancel because I didn't save my files yet. It is also very slow and it freezes all the time. I am really worried, can you please help me?

Thanks a lot,

BCN

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Look in the C:\Windows\Minidump folder for the blue screen logs. Zip 4-5 of the most recent ones and post the ZIP file here as an attachment.

3. bcn

bcn Thread Starter

hey frank, thanks for the immediate reply. I have checked my drive c, as what u have instructed me to do but i cannot find zip 4 and 5... though there are log files...

what can i do?

4. Frank4d

Select the log files by holding down the Ctrl key and left click on 4 or 5 of them. Release the Ctrl key and with the cursor over one of the files, right click. Then choose Send To, Compressed (zipped) folder.

Then attach the ZIP file here. The option to attach files is available if you click Go Advanced, then Manage Attachments.

5. bcn

bcn Thread Starter

done..hope i did it right :p

Attached Files:

6. Frank4d

All five of the logs show a problem while Chrome is running:
    Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k!RFONTOBJ::vXlatGlyphArray+5a )
    Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k!GreGetGlyphIndicesW+af )

"GlyphArray" and "GlyphIndices" above has to do with processing of display fonts. It suggests font settings in Chrome is causing the problem.

As a starting point, I would try installing a newer version of Chrome (or if you have just done that before the problem started, go back to the earlier one).

7. bcn

bcn Thread Starter

hi, i have now downloaded and installed a new google chrome browser... what would i do next?
    when i browse it freezes and its slow.. do u think i need to restore it to factory settings?

8. bcn

bcn Thread Starter

Hi frank,

I did have no problems with my comp. after i have reinstalled google chrome, not until today...
    and yes, i did have a quick glimpse it says that the prob is caused by win32k.sys.
    what would i do? it is now giving me a blue screen..... it happened twice today....
    please help.

thanks a lot.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027685

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice