XP crashes if I try to view video online

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jrock234

I suspect this is either a hardware or software problem on my computer, since it does not matter what website I am on. Whenever I try to view video with either Real player or Windows media player I get a blue screen for about 5 seconds and then the computer reboots on its own. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

This is a long shot, but the only time I got a blue screen with XP, it was because I overlocked my CPU. Did you do anything like that?

You should also perhaps note down what the message in the blue screen was. I know it shows only 5 seconds, but maybe you can take a snapshot of it using digital camera or something.

Now, from my experience, it seems that maybe some drivers are not updated or incompatible. Most importantly, make sure you have the latest drivers for your video card.

Have you tried doing an on-line windows Xp update? You should.

jrock234

ok I tried getting the newest drivers, but I still have the same problem. I took a picture of the blue screen (which is in German) and roughly translated it mentioned to things. One of which is drivers and the other was to update the BIOS, which I don't know how to do. As for the Cpu I have not overclocked it. In fact this is a new computer and I have I have found no windows updates that fix this. Also have noticed another problem. When it comes out of standby it does the same thing. Maybe I should just get my money back. :mad:

It seems that your PC is telling you that there is some kind of conflict in the BIOS (assuming your take on the German message is accurate), and the fact that your PC is new, you can do either 2 things:

1. Download and upgrade the the BIOS. Now, this is not as difficult as it sounds. Once you follow instructions, then you should be ok. But the key thing is "FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS". This is critical. The BIOS is actually the program inside your motherboard (chipsets, I believe) that keeps a record of the default instructions to your PC on how to start up and what configuration to use to operate smoothly. What you need to do is to find out what is the brand of your motherboard, and what model it is. You also need to know what is the current version of your BIOS. This can be done at boot-up time, when you would see something like "Award BIOS version ...... " or something like that, depending on which company's BIOS your motherboard is using.

Next, once you have all that information, you need to go to the motherboard manufacturer's website to download the latest BIOS update program. There is usually accompanying instructions on how to update. You should read this very carefully. Usually it would require that it is not interrupted while the updating is taking place. Otherwise.... the PC's a gonner.

2. Alternatively, if your PC is still under warrantry (since you said it's new), call them up and get them to upgrade the BIOS for you.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online