1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Defrag problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mtkaump, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mtkaump

mtkaump Thread Starter

Dell Vizio computer with WD hard drive heavily fragmented and will not defrag despite repeated attempts and several defrag utilities tried. Have researched and tried all the scan disk , disk check and other suggestions I have found and still no improvement! Defrag util say 23% free space on a 14gig disk - defrag screed is almost completely red in blocks or lines. Have moved all files or programs I know anything about to the other hard drive or removed any files or programs not needed. PLEASE HELP - Driving me nuts! Thank you for your anticipated response! Mike

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. gordon6971

gordon6971

You cannot move programs from one drive to another. You need to uninstall them and reinstall them on the new drive. That doesn't solve your defrag problems, however. Pls provide full details about your OS and system setup, including all drives & partitions.

4. deadking

deadking

In fact, defrag helps a little to speed up computer.
    check services in your system and disable useless items.

5. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

mtkaump
    PLEASE do NOT run WinMate it is a registry cleaner.
    You do NOT want this on your computer

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Open the MY COMPUTER window, then right-click on the hard drive icon, then click Properties.

What's listed for capacity, used space, and free space?

----------------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971511

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice