XP Defrag question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

24giovanni

Banned
Without affecting the XP OS, would it be OK to copy fdisk from my win 98 se machine found in C:\windows\command on to my XP machine with the path windows\system32 would it be functional?

24giovanni

Banned
that doesn''t really answer my question. I just want to know if it's possible and would it be functional.

well, why don't you use xp's disk management tools? Right click my computer, then manage, then disk management.

What exactly are you trying to do with fdisk? Not sure if it would work... since xp emulates dos.

bearone2

Banned
you can copy it but it needs to be run from the outside of the os from a boot disk.

DoubleHelix

Banned
You title the thread "XP Defrag Question", and then you ask about fdisk.exe.

Fdisk.exe does not defragment a hard drive. It deletes and creates partitions.

You can defragment a hard drive at a command prompt. There is no DOS in Windows XP. Run defrag.exe. You'll see a list of command line options.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online