1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP "deleted" photos off my SD Card! Help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by soulsurfer70, Nov 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. soulsurfer70

soulsurfer70 Thread Starter

I got back from Egypt the other day and put my holiday snaps into the PC with an SD card. Upon startup, Windows requested a "highly recoomended" disk check. I accepted, then, when I opened up the SD card, the photo folder was empty and a file had been created next to it with the same name as the folder... when I open the now useless folder, a box pops up saying "H:/DCIM is not avaliable. The directory name is invalid". A readme file also appeared. How do I get the photos back?!

(copy of readme:)

Checking file system on H:
    The type of the file system is FAT.

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You
    may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended
    that you continue.
    Windows will now check the disk.
    Unrecoverable error in folder \DCIM.
    Convert folder to file (Y/N)? Yes
    Convert lost chains to files (Y/N)? Yes
    109264896 bytes in 145 recovered files.
    Windows has made corrections to the file system.

508608512 bytes total disk space.
    16384 bytes in 1 folders.
    109281280 bytes in 146 files.
    399310848 bytes available on disk.

16384 bytes in each allocation unit.
    31043 total allocation units on disk.
    24372 allocation units available on disk.

2. soulsurfer70

oh come on people! you must know something!

3. zyper95

zyper95

Can you still see the pictures if your plug the SD card to your digital camera?

4. soulsurfer70

nope, it says no image on the camera screen... I guesse the camera can't open the file

5. BruinBeer

BruinBeer

6. soulsurfer70

thank you for the link. unfortunatly the software seems to be made for photos lost because if formatting a disk/card... my photos are essentially still there, just turned into one file :-(

7. itsjusme

itsjusme

When you downloaded the pics to the computer, did you use the card reader in the computer or hook the camera up with a cable? If you used the card reader, try putting it back in the camera and using the cable if you have one. Could be a card reader/driver for it problem.

8. nan_tucket

nan_tucket

9. nan_tucket

nan_tucket

Missed adding a very important point in the previous post - Here it goes. With Adroit Photo Recovery, there is a feature to not trust the File System and a feature to run disk images. You could choose to run the single file seen as a Disk Image with the Trust File System Option Turned Off. This should essentially get back all your files.
    thanks!

10. Topbloke

Topbloke

It's more than likely that the photo image data is still on the card as long as nothing else has been written to it in the meantime....

When photos (or any files) are deleted (or as in this case 'lost' by the operating system) from a memory card or USB memory device the data itself isn’t normally deleted, just the file system pointers that says where the data for the image files is located. The area where the deleted photo data was stored is also now marked as free space so it is available to the system for any new files to be written there instead.

If and when that happens, then it is too late to recover your deleted pictures so it is very, very important that new pictures or files aren’t saved to the memory card in the meantime.

One of the easiest ways to see if your deleted pictures can be recovered is to try some photo recovery software.

One tip is to try a demo version of a good commercial product that will scan the memory card for deleted pictures and show you exactly what pictures can be recovered.

That way you can see if you can recover the deleted photos or if it’s too late already. You can find more useful information on how to recover deleted photos from a memory card here.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/879158