1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp deleting files from 2nd sata hdd on startup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MtnSassafras, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MtnSassafras

MtnSassafras Thread Starter

how do I setup 2nd(old)hdd on xp NOT to boot. When I connect 2nd hdd, xp starts deleting files on startup. What's up with that?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Can you explain what you mean? How do you know it is deleting files? What files?

The boot drive should be specified in BIOS and then no other drive will boot.

3. MtnSassafras

files on the old hdd. on start up , automatically starts chkdsk on the 2nd hdd, says to "press any key" to cancel, but it does not work. I think it is deleting the file then formatting the hdd. As I have researched, I wondering if it is connected with RAID on xp. Is that possible? If so,hw can I get around that?

Thanks

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Chkdsk would only delete files if they were too corruopted to be recovered. They would have been useless, anyway. Chkdsk is not capable of formatting drives.

It sounds like the drive os defective and failing.

5. MtnSassafras

O. I let the chkdsk just run. Now all I see on the 2nd hdd is ntdetect.com and ntldr (222,386 bytes). My guess is that my files are in the ntlr, but how do I access them?

thanks

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Ntldr is just the NT loader. It is a file and has nothing inside.

Test the drive. It may be about to fail completely.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027311

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice