XP Desktop Balloons

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

haroldb

I have just upgraded to XP and am already very irritated by the little balloon messages that just pop up. For instance, there's one that pops up every time I start up, that says I have updates waiting to be installed. I checked, and the updates were about French grammer or some such, but every time I start up, there's that balloon again. Then today there was a balloon asking me if I wanted it to remove some of my desktop icons. How do I turn these things off, so they quit popping up?

haroldb

I downloaded TweakUI. When I tried to install it I got a message that says "TweakUI Powertoy Setup is not a valid WIN32 application"

DoubleHelix

Banned
You could customize your Windows Update settings to exclude notifications for updates you don't want to install. Then you'd still receive other balloon tips that some people find useful.

RAM-PAGE

Banned
haroldb said:
re: right version, its the only tweakui that's available there.
"PowerToys will only work with US-English regional settings."

Not entirely true, but do you have these settings?

RAM-PAGE

Banned
Desk top icons Ballon. Right-click the desktop, open Properties, Desktop tab, Customise Desktop, Desktop cleanup. Uncheck the check-box.

Here is some more on Balloon Notifiers.

REDUNDANT NOTIFIERS:

To clear the Past Items list, perform the following steps:
1. Delete the IconStreams and PastIconsStream values from the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify

2. Open Task Manager, click the Processes tab, click Explorer.exe, and then click End Process.

3. In Task Manager, click File, click New Task, type explorer, and then click OK.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online