1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Desktop Balloons

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by haroldb, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. haroldb

haroldb Thread Starter

I have just upgraded to XP and am already very irritated by the little balloon messages that just pop up. For instance, there's one that pops up every time I start up, that says I have updates waiting to be installed. I checked, and the updates were about French grammer or some such, but every time I start up, there's that balloon again. Then today there was a balloon asking me if I wanted it to remove some of my desktop icons. How do I turn these things off, so they quit popping up?

2. mike5532g

mike5532g

TweakUI

After you install, go to Taskbar and Start menu> uncheck enable balloon tips and click ok.

3. haroldb

haroldb Thread Starter

I downloaded TweakUI. When I tried to install it I got a message that says "TweakUI Powertoy Setup is not a valid WIN32 application"

4. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Did you get the right version of TweakUI (See below.)

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You could customize your Windows Update settings to exclude notifications for updates you don't want to install. Then you'd still receive other balloon tips that some people find useful.

6. mike5532g

mike5532g

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

#11 disable balloon tips

To use the Regedits: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

7. haroldb

haroldb Thread Starter

re: right version, its the only tweakui that's available there.

8. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

"PowerToys will only work with US-English regional settings."

Not entirely true, but do you have these settings?

9. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Desk top icons Ballon. Right-click the desktop, open Properties, Desktop tab, Customise Desktop, Desktop cleanup. Uncheck the check-box.

Here is some more on Balloon Notifiers.

REDUNDANT NOTIFIERS:

To clear the Past Items list, perform the following steps:
    1. Delete the IconStreams and PastIconsStream values from the following registry key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify

2. Open Task Manager, click the Processes tab, click Explorer.exe, and then click End Process.

3. In Task Manager, click File, click New Task, type explorer, and then click OK.

10. mike5532g

mike5532g

11. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!