1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Desktop start bar not starting

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by xpguy9, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpguy9

xpguy9 Thread Starter

Hello,

This is my first post and I am absolutely freaking out. I hope someone out there can help.

I was working late last night and about to upload to my server when my computer froze, so I forced power off.

Now when my computer reboots, my desktop loads, but the start bar doesn't fully load. The time on the bottom right is the only icon that appears... and say the desktop restarts at 8:00am and a few minutes go by, the clock stays stuck at 8:00am.

Also, when I cursor over the start bar, my cursor turns into an hour glass. When I cursor back over my desktop area, the hourglass icon goes away.

I'm unable to click on start or on my trash or the one other folder currently on my desktop.

I have no idea what to to.

I've tried to start by holding F2 as well as F12 and haven't had any luck.

I'm running XP SP2 on a 17" Dell Inspiron.

Please help. Please.

Thanks,
    Nick

2. xpguy9

xpguy9 Thread Starter

Oops... I should note that I was installing NOD32 Anti Virus but also had Norton installed. My subscription to Norton expired nearly two years ago, so that wasn't active, only the virus scanning part of Norton worked.

I was just reading online and noticed this being mentioned and realized I left it out.

When NOD32 was installing, it froze when it indicated it was deleting backup files.

Not sure if this has anything to do with anything or not.

3. xpguy9

xpguy9 Thread Starter

I can log in via Safe Mode and have deleted some files and also transfered some important stuff to an external hard drive, but the computer is my work computer, so everything on it is important.

I've tried restarting with Last Good Configuration and that's not working.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/733129

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice