1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP dial up... Can cannot but no ping or browse

Discussion in 'Networking' started by scooby_steve, Jan 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scooby_steve

scooby_steve Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I know this problem is likely to have been answered a billion times in previous posts but I have searched and have not come across anything that has solved this issue so I hope someone can help.

I've got a winXP pro machine with SP2. I'm connecting to the internet via dialup (56k modem). I can connect to my ISP but I cannot ping or browse. I have tried a new modem (modems were external and were new/out of the box) but still no resolution. I have tried resetting the TCP/IP, updated drivers for modems, tried the winsock fix etc but still cannot fix it. The times I have ping'd, I've have tried both the FQDN and the IP address but no replies. I have disabled Windows firewall and still no good. Prior to me being able to connect to the net consistently i was getting a whole lot of different connection errors such as error 718, 691 etc but have now managed to connect consistently. I dont have any NICs installed aswell.

Hope someone can shed some light? if not, i'm gonna have to format c: .. thanks so much.

Regards
    Steve

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

After you connect to your ISP do an ipconfig /all in your command window do you have an external IP address? If not then your not "technically" connecting to you ISP. Does your ISP have different local numbers? Do you get the same symptoms if you atry a secondary number? maybe its a problem with the specific modem bank.

3. scooby_steve

scooby_steve Thread Starter

Hi,

I am getting an IP address. I have also tried three different dial up accounts (each one being from a different ISP and is valid) and still no different. I have attached this computer to a LAN and I can browse all ok. It's only when I have it dialling up that I can not browse (when I use dial up, I have the NIC removed from the PC). any more help would be great. thanks again.

steve

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/321037

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice