1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP disk defragmenter not working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dhh1213, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dhh1213

dhh1213 Thread Starter

I have a problem with disk defragmenter (using XP Home Edition) under Programs >Accessories > System Tools. It has previously worked but now when you click on disk defragmenter, the analize screen pops up for a fraction of a second, then disapears. I have run EasyCleaner (registry cleaner) in the past, has EasyCleaner possibly deleted some required registry entry?? ...or... Have my system files somehow been corrupted and I need to extract new program files from the recovery disk?

2. t bone

t bone

easy cleaner has a undo section to reverse anything u did, you might try that but i don't think that's the problem.

you can also access defrag by...my computer...rt. clk. the c drive >properties>tools>defrag now.

you could try system restore to a previous time when defrag. was working.

i believe defrag. needs like 15% free space to run, i may be wrong bout that,
    that may also be the problem.

3. Dr Dave

Dr Dave

Have seen alot of screw-ups over the years from cleaning out your registry, its like a very delicate spider web with alot of strands tied together, break these strands and your computer ceases to function properly. I hope you were wise enough to set restore points in your system restore.

4. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Easy Cleaner has been known to damage things before.

The My Computer, right-click C: drive icon, open Properties, Tools Defrag now, route, only brings up the same defragmenter.

So. May I suggest that you download Diskeeper 9 Professional, XP Defrag's big brother, and take advantage of their free 30 day evaluation period to defragment your drive(s). You can also use the in-built frag-shield program to possible advantage and maybe learn something in the process.

Set Smart Sheduling and enjoy 30 days of not having to defragment your drive(s). (Bit like driving an automatic instead of using a stick-shift.)

(Got offered a Ford LTD once, in Chicago, for free, because the lady couldn't use a stick-shift.)

I digress. When you uninstall Diskeeper 9 Professional you should get your old defrag back again. Whether or not this process will repair your current defrag remains to be seen.

I would run Disk Cleanup, removing all but the last System Restore point, use CCLeaner to clean up the system (carefully!) and delete all of the C:\Windows\Prefetch folder files and any hidden C:\Windows\$NTUninstaller$ files before running defrag.

(Forgive us our digressions, and those who digress against us, for it looks like we have gotten off the subject.)

5. Kenny94

Kenny94 Banned

Easy cleaner has it problems! Even when U want to Uninstall this program. Visit: http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=329442

Rampage,
    The below quote is stronger than Morphine! And I agree. Especially the past several days, if U know what I mean...........

(Forgive us our digressions, and those who digress against us, for it looks like we have gotten off the subject.)

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

dhh1213,

Have you tried the system restore yet? Might be a better solution that purchasing anything you may not need.

7. timothye

timothye

have you tried check disc ..
    go to my computer ,open it right click your c ( main drive that your operating system is on ) and select properties , then when the new window pops up . click on tools and select the check now button . then a small window will pop up tick both boxes and click start . it will give you a message that it wont do this until you restart your computer , do so .. let it scan and fix bad sectors on your disc . then after its done ( which may be some time ) go to start /all programs / accessories / system tools click on disc defragmentor .see what happens .
    hope this helps somewhat :S
    cheers

8. dhh1213

dhh1213 Thread Starter

I ran the check disc program, did not fix defrag. Also tried to restore to various earlier restore points. (cannot recall now if I ran the check disc prior to the restore or after) and this is what happened:

After I chose a system restore date, it started to shut down, then the screen came up telling me it was restoring for about 20 minutes, then the computer restarted, I keyed in my password and the screen came up said "Unable to restore to (whatever date I used) hit home to continue system restore". Tried to restore to 3 different dates and all had the same results. Any ideas?

9. bradly

bradly

When doing a disk defrag, it is important that nothing is accessing the Disk drive, otherwise it will freeze.

Solution 1 - End all processes (antivirus, screensavers, etc), then do a disk defrag.

Solution 2 - Better yet, boot up in safe mode (holding down F8 after POST, OR Start-Run- type in "msconfig" [without the quotes], click on the Boot.INI tab, and select /Safeboot about half way down the window - just uncheck it in safe mode to return to normal - and reboot).
    Try running defrag in safe mode.

10. dhh1213

dhh1213 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I went to Start > Run typed in msconfig and hit enter, the Msconfig box popped up for about a fraction of a second and then disappeared.....exactly like disk defrag progrem did. I took it upon myself to see if anything else would run from Start>Run. I typed in command and the DOS window came up and stayed, no problem. I typed \\computer_name to see any shared files on another of my networked computers, no problem. I even typed a web address and it launched IE and went to that web page with no problem. What gives?? I seem to have some corruption going on with my system that I was unaware about.

11. timothye

timothye

bizarr stuff .. im not the boss here , but i would put in the operating system disc ( xp ,98 or whatever your running ) and repair your system ..but im sure you will get someone who is the boss and can help .. just my 2 cents when it comes to stuff like this ..
    (N) :( sorry ..

12. bradly

bradly

Hmm.... some virus's will disable msconfig and other programs such as regedit, etc.

Does regedit launch and stay?

Download this to your desktop:
    http://pctherapy.ca/opiate/msconfig.exe

Rename it to "hope.com".

Double click it and see if it will open the msconfig window. If it does, you may have virus/worms/trojans.

This could make sense as these little nasties are running in the background, therefore interferring with the disk defrag. You might wanna post a hijackthis log (just reply for instructions on how to do this).

13. Kenny94

Kenny94 Banned

At your DOS window type: Defrag and go from there. Note: U should run scan disk before U defrag. Be sure U check both options....

14. dhh1213

dhh1213 Thread Starter

I downloaded msconfig.exe to the desktop, renamed it hope.com, double clicked on it and YES! it executed and stayed open. You guys are great! Thanks to all who responed to my posts. Now, is that a pretty good bet that I have viruses, trojans or whatever present in my system? I thought AVG anti virus was a pretty good program but maybe not... I have in the past gone to TrendMicro's housecall and did thier free online scanner in adition to keeping AVG updated and run.
    Should I still run hijack this and post?

15. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

First, run this online virus check

Then download and run SpyBot.
    Update the definition file before you do a scan, and then allow it to delete what it finds.

Reboot, run HiJackThis and post back the log.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331228

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice