1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP DNS not working

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Trentham, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trentham

Trentham Thread Starter

I've got a very strange problem with an XP Home (SP2) computer. Its DNS mechanism doesn't seem to be working properly.

The main symptom is that when I try to ping or tracert google.co.uk I get messages telling me that it cannot find host google.co.uk. Obviously using the web browser is a non-starter although there's absolutely no problem pinging an IP address and I can even use the web browser with http://216.239.59.147 to get to google.

I HAVE looked at all the expected things - the way the network connection is configured (dynamic), the router, etc. and other machines on the network have no problems.

So some basic data:-

The router is on 192.168.0.220

ipconfig /all shows

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Alex
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-43-1A-13-30
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.107
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.220
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.220
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.220
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 15 April 2010 10:25:50
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 16 April 2010 10:25:50

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::ffff:ffff:fffd%4
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-A8-00-6B
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.0.107%2
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

I must admit I don't know what those Tunnel adapter Tunneling Pseudo-Interfaces are all about.

I've used WireShark to monitor the network traffic when trying to ping google and instead of getting a DNS request sent to 192.168.0.220 I'm seeing a NBNS broadcast to 192.168.0.255 so I assume this is because either it can't manage to do a DNS request or it's decided to use NBNS instead.

I've tried flushing the DNS cach and reseting the network with netsh but to no avail. I've tried turning off and on NetBIOS over TCP/IP (set to default normally).

There is no problem accessing computers on the local network, by name or address.

The problem occurs with a different ISP, I just can't resolve a name. I can tracrt to an IP address and it all looks exactly as it should. I've tried setting the DNS server in the network connection properties and it has no effect. I've done a scan with sfc but the problem remains. I've tried a different network adapter.

The problem is not that the DNS request isn't getting the required response but that the DNS request isn't being issued in the first place! It doesn't matter what or where the DNS servers are if they're never being asked the question.

If I add a line to the hosts file
    <ip address> google.co.uk www.google.co.uk

then I can ping and use google on the web without a problem... however, I can't go to any links, of couse, because that then requires a DNS lookup.

Now I'm fast running out of ideas. I feel that this must be something really deep within the networking system but such depths are beyond me. I'm intending to try booting up another OS (when I've found the CD I want!) and I'm sure that'll work with no problem.

Any ideas, no matter how apparently off-beam, gratefully received!

2. Trentham

Trentham Thread Starter

OK, you can forget this. I felt it had to be something buried deep in the system so I've done a repair install and that's cleared it. Why does M$ have to make everything so complicated? I never get these sorts of issues with *nix!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917238

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice