1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP does not recognize External Drive "make sure that the disk is properly ins

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by haasc, Jun 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. haasc

haasc Thread Starter

I recently moved my computer to a new office space and had to disconnect my external hard drive, which is a Western Digital My Book WD250. Upon reconnnecting it to the computer, Windows XP suddenly does not recognize the drive. The drive does not appear on "My Computer" nor do any of my links to the drive or shortcuts appear.

When I click on my shortcuts I receive the following message:

"Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available".

I've researched numerous solutions and one of them worked. I removed all of the USB cables from the computer and hard drive, and then in exact sequence connected the power to the My Book, connnected the USB cable to the computer and re-booted. Upon rebotting the computer suddenly recognized the drive and I opened up various folders and all of my information was still intact. Viola! It worked. Just to make sure all of my files were intact and to cofirm that the My Book was working properly I opened various files and thought the issue was resolved, but here is where it get confusing and where I could you use advice:

Everything was going fine until I hooked up my iPod to download some new songs from my external hard drive. After launching iTunes I went to click on a song, but iTunes would not play the song and gave me an error message that the folder/file was missing asking me if I would look for it. It took me to the exact folder in my hard drive where my media files are located and to my suprise the folder was empty.

What is a mystery is that it appears everything was working fine until I hooked up this iPod and launched iTunes. Now the external drive just sits there in idle mode and the computer does not recognize it.

So, I re-booted my computer hoping that this would solve the problem, but now the computer does not even recognize the hard drive at all and I'm back to square one. Upon launching iTunes I receive a message that the default location for my folders cannot be found or created.

There clearly is nothing wrong with the hardware, so I reasonably assume that there must be some kind of connection issue involving the cables or a software problem.

What is going on and what am I doing wrong? Can someone help me troubleshoot this mystery?

2. haasc

haasc Thread Starter

As an addendum, I just noted that the external drive does appear in the menu "SAFELY REMOVE HARDWARE". When I click on the option 'USB Mass Storage Device" the "WD 2500JS External USB Device" is shown, confirming that the computer is recognizing the device on some level.

3. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Might want to check and see if it lost it's assigned drive letter.
    Go to start/contorl panel/administrative tools/computer management/storage/
    disk management.
    See if the drive is there and has a drive letter.
    If not,right click it and assign one.
    It will also tell you the state of the drive there.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

This is one of the reasons I never buy an external drive that doesn't have another interface such as esata or 1394. The ipod is also a hard drive and in XP usb hard drives don't play well together. If you unplug the ipod, does the external drive now show up?

5. haasc

haasc Thread Starter

Thank you for taking the time to share your input.

leroys1000 - When I open up Computer Management (Local) and open up the Storage folder, I assume that I should look in Removable Storage.

When clicking on these subfolders there are two subcategories: Media & Libraries.

The media file is empty. The Libraries file shows my internal CD drives.

Should my external drive be appearing in the "Media" folder? If not, what should I do?

Rich-M - I unplugged the iPod immediately after iTunes launched and I noticed that my mp3 files had populated iTunes but the folder containing them was empty. After safely removing the iPod the entire My Book disappeared.

In the meantime, I will try visiting the Western Digital website to download and install new drivers.

6. haasc

haasc Thread Starter

Wait a minute, it just dawned on me ... there are no drivers for an external drive are there? The computer should recognize the device when it is plugged in, which is exactly what the computer did when I reconnected the drive after moving.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

That's right there are drivers but they are native to Windows so a reboot is all you should need.

8. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Actually,disk management should show all your drives.

9. haasc

haasc Thread Starter

What caused the computer to recognize the hard drive earlier, but suddenly have it disappear?

And, why won't the computer recognize the device after it is plugged in?

10. arknorth

arknorth

I sell that HD, and externals, like flash drives have the nack of sometimes not liking being plugged in while the computer is booting. I've also run into situations where the drive won't work in one USB port, but plug it in to the next port and Hey! There it is!

Don't be fooled - they're only messing with your mind! (And try unplugging the drive before shutting down and plugging it in after boot up).

A-N

11. haasc

haasc Thread Starter

I updated my computer with Service Pack 3 and downloaded all of the latest software from Western Digital with still no luck. I'm confused why if XP has the full driver support necessary to support external hard drives why it is not recognizing the drive after the USB cable is attached?

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

I think the problem is always the chipset used to convert to usb. There has never been a quality chipset used for that surprisingly enough. You can probably take the drive out and attach it internally and read all the files but that may well void any warranty you have.
    Next step is to try it on another pc to make sure it isn't a problem on your pc first though.

13. Lywellyn

Lywellyn

I noticed the "make sure your drive hasn't lost it's drive letter" solution was never fully done.

Right click My computer, select "Manage". In the Storage menu, you are looking for the "Disk Management" section, not "Removable Storage". In either the list at the top, or the list on the bottom, check to see if there are any drives that do not have a drive letter assigned to them. If there are, right click it and choose "Change Drive Letter and Paths..." Click the "Add..." button, and assign the letter you wish it to have. Click OK. If a popup comes up asking if you are sure you wish to change the drive letter, click "Yes". Once this is done, try to open your drive in My Computer.

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yeah one possibility would be the ipod took the drive letter from the usb drive...

15. haasc

haasc Thread Starter

When I open up Disk Management, I do not see that I have the option to add a drive and assign a drive letter to it.

Nor do I have to option to right click the option "Change Drive Letter and Paths..." Click the "Add..." button,

[​IMG]

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/719370

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice