1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP - Does the Administrator "need" a password, or okay not to?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by marie500, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

I'm just wondering - would XP ever require me (Administrator) to type in my "Administrator's password" to perform some procedure or access some area of the computer, once I'm already at my screen? Or, once I'm at my screen, is that all the "clearance" I need?

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

If you ever need to go into the Recovery Console you will need to know the Administrator password. I always install everything as administrator. I assume your normal user is a part of the Administrators group.

3. mobo

mobo

Depends on whether or not you set it up with a password upon installing xp or whether or not you installed one later on. try logging in as admin in safe mode to try it out.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You don't "need" an admin password for XP to function. If the PW is blank, you just don't have any security on the machine.

5. Krall

Krall

You should always change the built in Administrator account name and set a password.

Why should you do these things? Crackers need 2 things to access your PC:

1) A user name
    2) A password.

If you do not rename your Administrator account, 50% of their work is done.
    If you do not password your Administrator account, 100% of their work is done.

6. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

I just created a password, logged off, and successfully logged back on giving the password it now asks for. The account says Administrator, password-protected. Am I all set?

7. Krall

Krall

Yes, having a password is better than none at all. Once you login when you start your computer , you will rarely have to type in your admin password again during that session

8. mobo

mobo

Another question....Do you have a firewall since were talking on security ?

9. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

Yes I do, motherboard, Norton Internet Security. I'm pretty cautious about online intrusions and shenannigans. But not worried about my family being able to get onto my screen. Um...those crackers Krall mentioned - are these people online, trying to get in somehow...but need my password to do it? Or does it mean people physically sitting at my computer, trying to access it? And also, did I "rename" the Administrator's account when I put it in my name? Because I didn't delete any account (I think) when I set up the accounts for us. I just "created" accounts.

10. mobo

mobo

they are online at all times probing in cyber space trying to find a vulnerability on some poor unsuspecting person's pc so continue to run a firewall at all times..

11. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

Yes they certainly are busy! - my firewall is always, always flashing alerts. But actually I was wondering about what Krall said here:

"...Crackers need 2 things to access your PC:
    1) A user name
    2) A password.
    If you do not rename your Administrator account, 50% of their work is done.
    If you do not password your Administrator account, 100% of their work is done."

I'm pretty sure by this he means someone physically present at my computer. Not 100% sure, though, that he didn't mean an online intruder....

12. mobo

mobo

No he doesn't..All administratot accounts by default have the name administrator, So rename it to a different name. thats what he means.

13. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

Thanks, I think I (finally) have my head straight now.

14. mobo

mobo

No problem ;)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!