1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP doesn't reboot, safemode doesn't work

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by richard_bi, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richard_bi

richard_bi Thread Starter

Hi... xp stopped responding and I decided to power off.

Was never able to restart after that. Normal boot shows the windows initial screen, but eventually just restarts, safe mode does the same thing whether it's with network, command line or plain safe mode. Last known good configuration does the same.

Needed to use a file so decided to remove the HD and re-install to another PC. I did have access to the file in question but now I'd like to fix the problem.

The other system uses AVG. I started a scan and it detected Cekar.d (A0003977.exe, wdfmgr.exe and initially ntldr.exe), Dropper.Inor (ntdetect.hta, A0003979.hta), PSW.Generic5.ABVW (ctfmona.exe), PSW.OnlineGames.AAFI (ctfmonb.exe), PSW.Generic5.AFYK (ctfmond.exe), PSW.OnlineGames.ZWT (LotusHlp.exe) and some others but for whatever reason the scan stopped. I restarted it and now the AV still finds most of the threats it was seeing before but not Cekar.d. in the ntldr.exe file.

The system that had the problem was running Win XP Home SP1. Unfortunately, I can't find the manufacturer's recovery CD.

HD is still in the other PC. How should I attack the problem?

2. richard_bi

richard_bi Thread Starter

Update... Three passes of AVG and all threats were put in vault. Tried to re-install the HD to the initial system but no change... System says it didn't start correctly, that a new software of hardware could be responsible, the suggests to try las known good config, none of the options work, they all perform some tasks then windows reboots and ends up in the same screen.

3. Black9

Black9

If ntldr got quarantined....that's a problem....ntldr = NT Loader. It's responsible for loading the operating system. If you can find an XP cd...not necesarrily the recovery CD, but any normal XP cd, you can try to boot from it and repair your windows installation. During the boot from CD it will get to a point where It says press enter to install or R to repair...or something to sort, it's been a while since I did it.

Hope that helps

btw - I shouldn't say ANY xp cd...if you have XP home edition...borrow a home CD, if you have Pro, get a XP Pro CD.

actually....see this thread...one of our senior members left a better explanation

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/672358-help-clean-install.html

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!