1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp doesnt recognize cd burner everytime

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by otterbob, Dec 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. otterbob

otterbob Thread Starter

about 50% of the time after starting my machine my cd burner isnt recognized. so i go into device manager and hit the scan for new plug and play devices then windows finds it. or i can go into add new hardware but sometimes it says that another device is being installed but it never recognizes it. it is a plextor 12x10x32a and i am running a 1ghz pIII and a full install of xp. this is my second install of xp and the first install did the same exact thing.

2. aerain

aerain

Have you checked for the latest drivers for your CD-RW? If you're running WinXP pro, you should be able to rt click on a file , click send to [I/] and click on CD Drive . XP will copy the selected items to a queue for burning to a CD

3. otterbob

otterbob Thread Starter

yes i have the latest drivers. the problem isnt burning to cd. i have no problem with that. the problem is when booting up the puter windows doesnt recognize my cd burner until i go into add new hardware and it scans and finds it. it does this 50% of the time.

4. KiDcApRi3

KiDcApRi3

I had the same problem when i upgraded to xp. As i turned out it is caused by a bad registry entry left over by uninstalling easy cd creator. I stops your cd drive from being seen in device manager. At microsofts site their is a fix for it, and how to go into the registry and remove them.

5. otterbob

otterbob Thread Starter

ok ive searched microsofts website but am having a hard time finding this procedure. could you please give me some more info on how to search for this fix on microsofts website??? thank you.

6. KiDcApRi3

KiDcApRi3

7. otterbob

otterbob Thread Starter

thanks for the reply but the syptom doesnt match what the fix is for. thank you anyways.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60610

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice