1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP doesn't recognize USB connected hard drive in My Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vicevans, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vicevans

vicevans Thread Starter

Hard drive shows up in Device Manager as working properly, but not recognized in My Computer

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What about Disk management (Right-click Computer , Manage, Disk management)?

3. vicevans

vicevans Thread Starter

The hard is not recognized there either.

4. MaverickUK

MaverickUK

Is the drive new? Is the enclosure definately working?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Does anything happen when you plug it in? Is there a "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the tray?

What make/model of case and drive?

6. vicevans

vicevans Thread Starter

100GB Fujitsu drive is in an Apricorn enclosure that was cloned from a laptop drive. The "Safely Remove Hardward" icon is in the tray and the drive/USB connection is recognized.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Are you sure there is nothing in Disk Management? Be sure to scroll down in the window to see if anything is hiding among your CD drives.

8. vicevans

vicevans Thread Starter

Drive is new and has already worked when I cloned the my laptop drive. I had to use another drive to clone my laptop because this drive (Fujitsu) wouldn't insert correctly. I need to clean this drive before I return it.

9. vicevans

vicevans Thread Starter

I'm positive.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is the drive listed under drives and also under the USB section of Device manager as a "Mass Storage Device"? Is everything working properly in DM? What are its properties?

11. vicevans

vicevans Thread Starter

Yes and indication is that everything is working properly. I'm not sure what you mean by properties.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try opening up the "Safely Remove Hardware" window. What information do you see there? Click the box about showing the individual components.

13. vicevans

vicevans Thread Starter

It shows USB Mass Storage Device and indented underneath, the name of drive - FUJIVSW OHV2302AJ " " " USB Device at Location 0

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try removing the drive and USB devices from Device Manager and then reboot so that they are redetected.

15. vicevans

vicevans Thread Starter

I've tried this, but the drive (when it is turned on) impedes the startup process; I surmise it has something to do with it being a clone with XP on it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596442

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice