1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP doesnt see processor

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CarpenterJC, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CarpenterJC

CarpenterJC Thread Starter

So I finally upgraded my computer..bought one from someone who builds them..he came over set it up and got it running for me..I bought it with no HDD..pulled my HDD out of my old machine and used that..it has XP on it..everything seems to work except xp isnt recognizing the processor...its a newer processor and the version of xp is older..I was told I may need to re flash the bios I am unsure on how to do this or if theirs a different way to get xp to see the processor..I use this machine strictly for Games..below I listed the specs...I'd appreciate any help I can get..Thanks!

JC

Specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 940 Black Edition 3.0 GHz processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103471
    ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 PWM 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler

SAPPHIRE 100255L Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-DS4 AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX Ultra Durable II AMD Motherboard

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK

LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM

Antec P182 Gun Metal Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

well generally if you switch HDDs like you have it will not work at all or only if lucky, so usually a fresh install would be done as old HDD total different device info to your new set up

could try a reset of bios by removing the battery csmos from mobo and yes a bios flash may work but risks associate with that also
    go to gigabyte go to your mobo look for bios update or re flash if there is no update, download gigabyte bios flash utility load that finfd the bios file you have downloaded and flash it re boot pressing delete on start up straight to bios load optimised defaults re boot preee delet again to go to bios and re set it up how you had it before

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/download-center.aspx?kw=GA-MA790X-DS4&ck=2

3. CarpenterJC

So besides doing the reflash..wich I am leery about ...if I re-install the OS..I have the original disc that came with the other computer...just pop that in and reload as normal? sorry for the kind of dumb questions..

JC

4. Megabite

Megabite

Yes you will need to do a fresh install of XP....you will also need to install the drivers and all the programs again.

5. CarpenterJC

Thanks for the replies..am doing the fresh install now....we'll see how this goes....Thanks again.

JC

6. hrlow2

hrlow2

May need to defrag after doing this.
    Get all drivers and Windows updates first.
    Have seen up to 38% fragmentation after a fresh install.

7. CarpenterJC

Well I finished the reloading of the OS...everything went well..downloaded the necessary drivers from motherboard website and installed and did all needed windows upddates...seems to be running very well..when I click "My Computer" and Properties..it still shows Processor as "AMD Processor unknown"...but it does show it as 3.4GHz...I also installed ATI vid card driver and updates as well as AMD monitor for the processor..it shows all 4 cores working..just odd that XP doesnt see it....is this normal with a newer processsor and an older OS?..I know I'll eventually (soon) just get a new HDD and go with Win7..

JC

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972309

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice