1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Drivers for Gateway W340UI

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dianna5446, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dianna5446

dianna5446 Thread Starter

Need video driver for Gateway W340UI

For some reason Gateway decided that this computer should have Vista even though it does not have enough memory to run it. Gateway will not provide the drivers for XP on their website. I have found enough to get the internet and sound working, but when I run the add hardware wizard there is a yellow question mark next to "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)" I have done a fair amount of researching and reading other's posts looking for drivers for this Gateway model, but I am finally posting this one myself hoping for some specific answers and will be sure to post all the links to all drivers I find. I am pretty proficient with computers but am still unsure exactly how drivers work. Shouldn't there be a way for XP to automatically search for missing drivers and install them? I have run the add new hardware wizard with no luck, it says it can't find a driver. The only reason this seems to be a problem is that it will not sleep the computer. Even when I go to power options there is no standby option, only power off and turning the display off. Sorry this is a long post, just wanted you to know I've done the leg work already and am ready for answers from an expert :)

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Double-click the Video Controller (VGA Compatible) entry in the Device Manager to open its properties window, then click Details(tab).

Look for a string that has VEN_####&DEV_#### as part of the string.

Advise what the 4 characters are after VEN_ and DEV_.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

3. dianna5446

dianna5446 Thread Starter

VEN_1002&DEV_5A62

What do those numbers mean?

Thanks so much for your help!

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    This is from the PCIDatabase.com site for that vendor code and device code:

Device Id: 0x5A62

Chip Description: ATI Radeon Xpress Series

Chip Number: RC410M

Vendor Id: 0x1002

Vendor Name: ATI Technologies Inc. / Advanced Micro Devices Inc.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I did some research and I believe the graphics controller is an ATI Radeon Xpress 200M.

Here is a XP driver download for it at the HP site.

Download and save the file, close all open windows first, double-click the saved file to install it, then restart your computer.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

This driver may work even though it is not for your model: http://support.gateway.com/support/...set Driver version: RC410 8.221&uid=267828302

Install the driver by running setup.exe from the D00552-001-001\Driver folder. If setup.exe complains the driver isn't for you model, go to the D00552-001-001\Driver\\2KXP_INF folder, right click the CX_30989.inf file, then click Install.

Note the driver download also contains the ATI RC410 chipset, raid, network, etc drivers.

I had a similar experience downgrading a Gateway laptop with an ATI chipset from Vista to XP.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Frank4d:

Thanks for jumping in. Between what we've provided, hopefully the graphics controller driver will get installed and working properly.

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

When I downgraded my son's Gateway I used the VEN_####&DEV_#### method for nearly every driver. It was a painful experience.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I try not to go that route, but sometimes it's the only way for me to find a device description and then hopefully the driver for it.

With so many users not liking Vista and making the downgrade to XP, I'm seeing this problem more and more.

I expect we'll see the same problem with users who dislike 7 and downgrade to XP.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

9. usmcsmith

usmcsmith

Hello Dianna, I'm having the same problem with my friends laptop. It had vista on it, but i switched it to XP, but I can't seem to find the ethernet/internet drivers. Other than that, I think everything else is fine. Can you help me figure out how to get those drivers?

10. usmcsmith

usmcsmith

Where am I to go to get ALL of the necessary drivers for for this computer. Downgraded from Vista to XP??

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    usmcsmith:

You need to start your own thread.

Trying to help 2 people with 2 different computers in the same thread is too confusing, and it delays helping the person who started the thread.

----------------------------------------------------------------

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920280

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice