1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP explore, stop the auto refresh

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by oldschool, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldschool

oldschool Thread Starter

Greeting folks, I'm new to this site. I'm somewhat new to XP, we've used NT4 for years. When using windows exploreon a busy networked folder, the cursor is hourglassed frequently, to the point that you cant copy anything. If you only have explore running, open to this network folder, the cpu constantly pulses to 80% about every 5 seconds, sometimes for 20 seconds or more. This only happens on a very large folder on a mapped network drive, with about 10,000 folders and about 100GB of data. This folder is being written to very frequently by about 20 users. It seems XP wants to refresh every time the data changes. You don't have to be in a folder that is being written to, any of the 10,000 will act the same. I've also noticed that when everyone goes home, there is no problem. Is there a way to stop the refreshing, like NT4?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!