1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Explorer - Ctrl-C / DEL / Double-click slow

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by olemik, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olemik

olemik Thread Starter

Hi guys

I've got a strange problem: Windows explorer (file explorer, not IE) responds immensely slow to:
    * Ctrl-C / Edit->Copy (but not Ctrl-V / Edit->Paste)
    * Ctrl-X / Exit->Cut
    * DEL (but NOT File->Delete)
    * Enter / Double-click on a file with an associated application

For all these actions, Explorer shows the hour-glass for approx. one minute before continuing.

It seems that the problem is not slow disks - ie. Ctrl-C doesn't read the files, it merely marks the file for copying. And Ctrl-V is not slow (nor is copying by drag'n drop or via the command-line).

The problem appears both on local and network drives, as well as on the desktop.

I haven't got the faintest idea as to what's causing this.
    Can anybody give me a clue?

2. walkerboh211

walkerboh211

I'm running Windows XP SP2 from an original install CD of the same version (i.e. it wasn't an upgrade to SP2). I run on a Dell D600 Latitude and my laptop is part of an Active Directory Windows Server 2003 domain.

I noticed that opening files via Windows Explorer takes at least a minute, even on 1 KB text files. Also, shortcuts to VBS files or MMC's take a minute to start as well. However, if I launch an application (i.e. an EXE) it opens quickly. Further, if I launch via the Start|Run option everything is lightening fast (as it should be). For example, I can run NOTEPAD C:\Textfile.txt and the file opens instantly w/Notepad. Likewise, if I type MMC in the Run field it snaps open in no time.

I've noticed that some times when I try to launch a local file via Explorer that my network monitor lights in the systray are active until the file opens. Go configure.

I also notice that sometimes the CPU pegs out- at least according to my Task Manager systray icon. It is possible that the CPU maxes out EVERY time but that only SOME times does it show in the systray as pinned out.

I'm sorry I don't have a solution. I've tried a dozen or so things to no avail. I even ran Spybot S&D 1.3 and found nothing except cookies and the DSO exploit.

I'm no genius but I'm at wits end.

3. walkerboh

walkerboh

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269671

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice