1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Explorer doesn't display folders/files in "alphabetical" order

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rewar, Jan 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rewar

rewar Thread Starter

Recently got a new machine with XP installed. When I copied some data folders and files from my old setup (95), I found they were no longer listed in the same order. The folders and files all have numerical titles representing the date of the data,i.e,
    folders for any given year use the month and day numbers as title (mmdd format} and the data files in a given folder use the time as title (hhmm 24hr format). The problem is that XP Explorer ignores any leading zeros in the title, i.e., it sorts the list numerically. My data collection program drops all trailing zeros to save storage space so files for the sequential times 0230, 0630, 2100 are named 023, 063, 21 and then are listed in the numerical order of 21, 023, 063 by XP Explorer.

I figured I have to add the trailing zeros to the old file names and, perhaps, modify the data collection program. But then I noticed that in the Temporary Internet Files folder files are _not_ ordered numerically but "alphabetically" like in 95.

My question then is - Can XP Explorer be set to sort a file list in the same way it does for the Temporary Internet Files folder?

Bob Warren

2. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

Just right click in any empty space and scroll down and click on
    View or Arrang Icons By
    but maybe because of it being win95 given a different way of seeing these files, just rename them to way you like. It's been a long time since I've used win95 so sorry little help.

• Under view you will see
    • Thumbnails
    • Tiles
    • Icons
    • list
    • Details------The one I think you want

Under arrang Icons by you will see
    • Name
    • size
    • type---------The one I think you want also
    • Modified
    Hope this helps :)

3. rewar

rewar Thread Starter

---------------------------------
    Just right click in any empty space and scroll down and click on
    View or Arrang Icons By
    but maybe because of it being win95 given a different way of seeing these files, just rename them to way you like. It's been a long time since I've used win95 so sorry little help.
    -----------------------------------

Still, it seems passing strange that 95 files/folders, 98SE files/folders and XP/Temporary Internet Files all sort file/folder names by simple ASCII order while the rest of XP sorts files/folders by a hybrid CHARacter/INTeger scheme. Before starting to rename my 1000+ data files, I think I'll see if I can find a switch in the registry files which will accomplish what I want.

Thanks for the reply

Bob Warren

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115551

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice