1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP fails to setup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by EMPDeadZone, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EMPDeadZone

EMPDeadZone Thread Starter

I'm currently trying to install a fresh copy of windows xp. everything goes smooth until windows enters its setup and the computer stalls at "approximate Time Remaining: 39 Minutes" then turns completely off. It did this to me the last time i reinstalled windows but removing one of my sticks of ram fixed it. This time that hasnt worked nor swapping out any pieces, only ones i havent are my hd, mb, and psu. No error is displayed before shutting off.

The specs of the system i'm tyring to install it on are
    2400+ amd dc
    600W thermaltake psu (i think)
    2 gigs of ram, one stick is corsair the other is gigaram (gigaram is the one i took out the first time to make it work)
    240 Gig seagate sata hd
    7600gt nvidia graphics card

thanks in advance

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. EMPDeadZone

alright, thx, i'll stop by my friends tomorrow and grab some ram i've never used in it before to try out

4. dr911

dr911

Hey.....EMPDeadZone,
    Welcome to TGF !! Let us know what happens, I'm running into the same problem !! :confused:

5. EMPDeadZone

new ram doesnt seem to have helped, any other ideas?

6. srhoades

srhoades

Does your motherboard have onboard graphics? If so I would yank the video card.

7. Mojolookout

Mojolookout

it's prolly the legacy USB drivers. unplug all your usb devices and try again.

8. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Have you installed before using that XP CD and on the exact same system hardware? I only ask as I had a similar problem a fair while back and it turned out to be an issue with the installation CD (which was an SP1 CD). I had to get an SP2 install CD and it worked fine.

9. EMPDeadZone

my mb doesnt have an onboard graphics card, and all the usb devices are unplugged, and yes i have used that cd before, many times before. :(

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Check the hard drive next. Press "R" on the first XP setup screen, log into the Recovery Console, and run chkdsk /r. Check the report for bad sectors. You might type "map", too, to see what partitions are seen.

11. EMPDeadZone

quick question, its asking me for an admin password after choosing the installation i want to run off of, what is it default to? tried admin and administrator also just tried hitting enter without puttign anything in like the microsoft website says

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

It's usually one of 4 things...dying hard drive, bad cd, bad cd drive or memory. Try different of each.

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

The default is a blank. Otherwise, it's the same as the admin account password.

14. EMPDeadZone

something wasnt right before, i tried blank, but i guess now it worked lol, i'll post what i find in a bit

15. EMPDeadZone

chkdsk wirked, said it fixed one or more problems, but it didnt fix mine :( also, when i typed map it showed the one partition i have on the hd.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702256

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice