1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP File mysteriously not sharing anymore

Discussion in 'Networking' started by yahyagalely, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yahyagalely

yahyagalely Thread Starter

I have LANed 2 machines both using xp. One is with SP1 and the other without.

Of lately, the machine NOT running SP1, cannot access files from the SP1 machine, although internet sharing is working.
    But the SP1 upgraded machine can view the NON SP1 machines files and folders.

The error displayed on the NON SP1 machine says "access denied".

I have enables sharing in all folders on both machines. I have also run Networking Setup Wizard countless times.

HELP
    Thanks

2. sirbob

sirbob

Have you run Windows Update recently? If so, check to see if the LAN connection on the SP1 machine now has a firewall that is enabled. Microsoft is using Windows Update to update computers to SP2, which contains a firewall that is automatically enabled. I believe file sharing is also turned off by default.

3. yahyagalely

Thanks for your reply...
    No the LAN firewall is disabled...(the button is inactive)
    I havent upgraded to SP2 yet..only SP1 and all other small patches etc...

???

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Create a user account on the machine with the shared drive(s) with the same name/password as used for the connecting machine's network login.

5. yahyagalely

umm i dont have a username/password for anything... when the pc boots im automatically on the network...
    i have a feeling this has happened after i installed sp1...is that possible?

thanks a bunch

6. yahyagalely

i guess im having a similar problem as quacks "cant share !! "
    im not using a router..im usig cross cabled cat5 10/100 ethernet cable...
    my print share is working... but the same "access denied" msg appears when i try to share from the host.

cant share !!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I cant get file or print sharing to work on my 2 xp pro machines

I have a linksys cable modem and linksys wireless router, no problems with the internet,both work as advertised

Having run the wireless network wizard and home network wizard

The printer host machine does not see any computers on the network and gives me this message "Mshome is not accessable you might not have permission to use this resource"

the other sees both machines but cannot access the other one ,just the shared files on it and I get this message "\\Goose is not accessable you might not have permission to use this resource"

I have turned the routers firewall off and also the M$ firewalls

Help !!!!

Thanks
    quacks

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270386

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice