1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Xp files not opening properly in xp/vista dual boot

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by pccraze, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pccraze

pccraze Thread Starter

My laptop came preinstalled with windows xp.I recently installed windows vista on the laptop making it dual boot with xp and vista.However,after this, certain programs in windows xp are not running properly.For eg-When i open programs like Mcafee anti virus,realplayer,..a dialog box comes up asking me with which program should i open the selected file.Also,When opening my computer system properties,system restore etc..a msg comes saying file not found.I haven't deleted any file from xp.Then why is this occurring.is this because vista was not installed properly.Is it because i tried to to access the files stored in windows xp from vista.When i did the above,a msg came saying i wasnt allowed to access those files...How ever windows vista is working fine.

2. pjhutch

pjhutch

Its a registry problem, someone has associated .EXE files with something else and remove it and the registry entry is now invalid.
    See http://dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm for fixes.

3. pccraze

pccraze Thread Starter

It worked.Thanks a lot.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!