1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Files & Settings Transfer Wizard

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rferster, Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rferster

rferster Thread Starter

using xp sp3, use the Files and settings transfer wizard to restore IMPORTANT "client" email and contacts!! it used 3 usb sticks from the old computer, now upon starting the process on the "new" computer, xp sp3, it reads each disc (burned them to DVD thought it would read faster that USB, plus I have a copy if I need my stick), and prompts me for the next disc etc..I insert, then it prompted me for disc 4??? there is and was no disc 4 when created!! so I thought I click cancel and it would let me continue on... but no it stopped the whole process all together, I really need to restore this information and am on a Major time crunch here. help!!! Need to get this to work or help extracting files from the .dat files...thanks

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Berst to go back into the old system, assuming you still have it, and transfer the files manually. Look in Documents and Settings>{relevant username}>Local Settings>Application Data>Microsoft>Outlook if Outlook was the e-mail handler. Contacts shouldn't be hard to find but different locations apply to Outlook Express and other handlers.

Please post back if you still have access to that old system. Did you clear the data off those sticks after creating the DVD?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

You used USB sticks to make the backup (very much faster than DVD's for reading) and then burned the contents of the sticks to DVD's, is that correct?

Though not familiar with the details of the process, it would also be necessary to have some auxiliary files, possibly hidden, that recorded the metadata about the dat files, such as the size of the backup, the number of units, the sizes of the units, etc. You may not have copied everything to DVD and in any case, the media should not have been changed.

The dat files may be in a proprietary format, so the Wizard may be the only thing that can extract them.

Possibly someone with more knowledge of the details of this process will weigh in.

4. rferster

rferster Thread Starter

thanks for the quick reply, I tried using FAST to restore the images, but there are only 3 discs and it is asking for 4! so thought it would be easier just extracting the files manually or a program to a temp location and move what I needed...all i REALLY need is the Outlook Express portion of the backup, the rest I can live without....

5. rferster

rferster Thread Starter

I can't go back to the old system, reformatted and am typing from it.
    yes I cleared the data from the stick but put it on MY hard drive in its own folder, only 1 file created, each named exactly the same, I only have one working stick that could take the 4.2gb file so I had to clear it off to get the next file as it didn't like it if I stuck it in with the previous file still on it..during the backup process

6. rferster

rferster Thread Starter

thanks for the quick reply, I tried using FAST to restore the images, but there are only 3 discs and it is asking for 4! so thought it would be easier just extracting the files manually or a program to a temp location and move what I needed...all i REALLY need is the Outlook Express portion of the backup, the rest I can live without....

7. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

It looks to me like you have set up the wizard to transfer ALL files and settings, rather than ONLY what you needed., as depending on the size of the usb flash drives it cannot possibly have taken three of them, to copy what you wanted.
    You cannot use the wizard to usb, then copy that to DVD, as the copy process will not see the files and settings transfer WIZARD files., that is why it is asking for the next disk of which there is not one.
    It needs the Wizard files which have NOT been copied.
    It is really too late now, because other people have posted the answer anyway - particularly Elvandil.
    This is what you should have followed
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.php

but really the manual method rather than the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard is always more reliable.

I am reasonably convinced this is your problem
    #1 Do not rename the store folder, as you may receive the following error when attempting to restore the files and settings to your new computer:
    The location that you specified does not contain stored information. Please type a valid folder path into the edit box.
    If you entered a path to a folder on a removable disk, the disk must be in the drive.
    If you've mistakenly renamed the store folder already, then rename it back (to USMT2.UNC)
    #2 Make sure that the Service Pack level of the New computer matches the Old computer. If the old computer (from where you collected the data) runs Service Pack 2, install Service Pack 2 in the new computer, and then import the data. Some users have indicated that this solved their problem.
    #3 Make sure that both the systems (Old and the New computer) have the same version of Migwiz.exe file. If there is a mismatch in the version of Migwiz.exe between the two computers, the following error will occur when attempting to restore the settings to the new computer:

Elvandil, as I would expect and myself - I think have it right here See point 6 on this transfer to new computer.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306187

8. rferster

rferster Thread Starter

yes, I did back everything up, all options as the customer was addament about losing information..I've been overworked and tired, so I guess I wasn't totally into the backup process and was hoping the stupid FAST program from Macrocrap would of worked.

now you stated, me burning the USB dat files to DVD and trying to restore that way wouldn't be seen, well how come the progress meter moves and doesn't yelp till it is asking for disc 4? so will try to duplicate this by putting the .dat files onto the stick and try restoring again...

and shoulda woulda coulda doesnt' help in this situation AFTER the fact!

the file names are completely as originally named as I only copied them to my hard drive, to answer your other question, the FAST program was the one who prompted me to insert another disc, yet is had only utilized 4.3gb of my 16gb stick, which was free and clear and formatted clean to start with... the entire backup should have been on the stick.. I agree on that...

both machines software levels are identical before and after, service packs, program version etc...

lastly I gotta run, but I don't see step 6 pertaining to me in anyway from your link...why would I need a wizard disc when the program is already on the computer? & it is step 7 that I cannot get to...

which brings me to this, will I be prompted as to what I would like restored? or will it auto restore everything??? I hope not, damm I know I should of done this manually....thanks for your help..

9. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Sorry about that I obviously misunderstood how the files and settings transfer wizard works.
    When I said, "This is what you should have done". I was only trying to put you right for next time.

Here is how to do it using the XP CD
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306186/en-us

and here is the link I sent previously
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306187

I understood that you do this on the computer you are transferring the data TO
    Create a Wizard Disk

To create a Wizard Disk by using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.
    2. On the Welcome to the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard screen, click Next.
    3. On the Which computer is this screen, click Next.
    4. On the Do you have a Windows XP CD screen, click I want to create a Wizard Disk in the following drive.
    5. In the drive list, click the drive that you want. For example, 3-1/2 Floppy (A, and then click Next.
    6. Insert a blank formatted disk into the drive, and then click OK to create the Wizard Disk.
    7. Remove the Wizard Disk, and then click Cancel.
    That will then tell the computer you are transferring the data FROM, what the settings are on the computer you are transferring the data TO. So you then do this

1. Start the File and Settings Transfer Wizard on the computer that you want to collect the files and settings from:
      1. Insert the Wizard Disk into the drive of the computer
      2. Click Start, and then click Run.
      3. In the Open box, type: drive:Fastwiz
        Where drive is the drive that contains the Wizard Disk (such as A:Fastwiz).
      4. Click OK.
    2. On the Welcome to the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard screen, click Next.
    3. On the Select a transfer method screen, click the transfer method that you want. For example, Floppy drive or other removable media, and then click Next.
    4. On the What do you want to transfer? screen, click the selection that you want, and then click Next.
    and then this
    Transfer the files and settings to the new computer

1. Log on to the Windows XP-based computer.
    2. Click start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.
    3. On the Welcome to the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard screen, click Next.
    4. On the Which computer is this screen, click New computer, and then click Next.
    5. On the Do you have a Windows XP CD screen, click I don't need the Wizard Disk. I have already collected my files and settings from my old computer, and then click Next.
    6. On the Where are the files and settings? screen, click the same transfer method that you selected in step 3 in the "Collect the files and settings from the old computer" section. For example, Floppy drive or other removable media.
    Here is the definitve guide, which appears to support the above.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457074.aspx#EFAA

As you say, it is too late now, but at least you backed it all up first.

10. rferster

rferster Thread Starter

thanks for all the typing and instructions, nothing has worked yet. Yes I realize you are advising for future reference, but there won't be another time that I use this program as it is so unreliable.

When I referred to I backed it all up, was referencing your comment that if I wanted the Outlook Express only why did I back it all up, I was being overly cautious is all. and we see where that got me, LOL

so I tried making the wizard disc on the new computer because it is also the old computer, had a look at what it made, 2 files were on the stick. and it being the same computer, I compared the file to the same file on a 3rd & 4th computer, same date, size etc... so in conclusion it doesn't matter if FAST is run from the CD or the stick or from the start menu, its all the same program version which is the key to why it wants you to make a disc from the computer to migrate to...so its the same XP version...

I copied back the .dat files to the exact stick and am trying a restore via the wizard as you outlined, I need to point out that the process is exactly the same as I have been doing it, but with being tired, am giving it another shot. FYI< it doesn't matter about copy the .dat files to DVD etc... the reaction to the program has been identical, its all in the pointing to the files, not necessarily the exact media to which it was placed as it only places a single file on the media...and for the hell of it and testing purposes, doesn't matter it was a different stick, 16gb in size yes, tis only a different brand, but same label....

I've just inserted the 3rd USB stick of the backup, which is 3 of 3....and the outcome is....same result, asking for disc 4, when only 3 were created in the beginning...I've even attached a screenshot, even the progress indicator for copying over nearly 11gb, is hardly progressed at all..

So valiant effort by everyone, I am giving up, the only thing I am missing is his contacts which he can recreate, I have his entire inbox etc....

Thank you.

Attached Files:

• FAST.JPG
      FAST.JPG
      File size:
      115.7 KB
      Views:
  11. rferster

rferster Thread Starter

no it doesn't matter to which media you copy to..use... or restore with...as long as you point it to the correct media when doing so....

12. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I'm sorry to see how this thread developed and the situation seemed worse with every post. Despite formatting and reinstalling, if the old disk hadn't been defragged for a while, it's stll worth using something like Recuva or Rest2514 to seek out files of type .wab and .dbx. You might be surprised what can still be recovered and it's better than having to go back to a customer with an admissiion of failure. Somehow they never believe it was all M$'s fault.

13. rferster

rferster Thread Starter

am tired, and didn't think to try a recover for that specific file, will try that...I have a few of those programs...maybe once I get some SLEEP, things will be clearer, they usually are.

Thanks to everyone for their patience.

Rob

14. rferster

rferster Thread Starter

I even tried the Fastconv program but using the removal program from the stick to make it then fastconv useable, but with no luck, it extracted the files from the sticks, I combined them, different names of course, and each file errored bad file in header, but it did complete into 1 file, 9.4gb in size, which makes sense...but then still, FAstconv, wouldn't work, kept thinking I had the syntax wrong, was usiing like:

fastconv.exe /S:c:\new\usm2img\img00001.dat /D:\done

invalid store error

cant quite recall the exact folder name, but just typed it here for reference only, please do not criticise or correct the folder name, its inconsequental at this point...but had exact when trying to do the Fastconv.....just to let everyone know..

so where I am at, deleted all those files and am going to try recuva etc... and if no luck, just have the client recreate the contacts list or address book, as I do have the rest of the inbox etc...

Thanks

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!