1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP forgot my CD/DVD drives

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by blonar, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blonar

blonar Thread Starter

After at least five years of proper operation XP will not recognize my two DVD drives. When I originally installed these two drives I did not even need a driver disk as XP recognized the drives and automatically installed the drivers. I have tried copying the drivers from a diskette created from another XP computer that has identical drives from that computers windows OP system in theC:/windows//system32/drivers folder but to no avail. In Control Panel, I have used add or remove hardware to removed these two drives and then turned the computer off. THen I disconnected the IDE cables from two drives - they are slaves and rebooted the computer. Then I truned the computer On and Then OFF. Reconnected the IDE cables and turned the computer back on and no help XP still has amnesia. Any thoughts?

Blonar

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915705

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice