1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

XP Format Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by KangarooRat, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KangarooRat

KangarooRat Thread Starter

My boss had me buy him a new laptop the other day. Since his old one is still in pretty good condition, he asked me to wipe it and then send it off to one of the new guys in the company.

I need to format harddrive to get rid of all of the sensitive information that is on there, but we no longer have any of the backup discs that came with the computer.

Is there a way to clear everything off the harddrive (completely) without the discs and still retain Windows XP and Office?

Specs:
    Sony Vaio
    Windows XP Professional
    Pentium M Processor 1.73Ghz
    512MB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce Go 6200

Thanks in advance....

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You can't delete everything and keep Windows. You can uninstall programs and delete data files and then run something like Eraser (http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/) to securely wipe the free space which would make the data unrecoverable.

The larger issue is not having restore disks for a company computer. Eventually you're likely to run into a problem. The boss should invest in a special box to keep important things like restore disks in. Guaranteed he'll need them one day.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596969

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice