1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

xp freeze

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rleescott, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rleescott

rleescott Thread Starter

I have a Dell laptop, inspiron 8200, P4, 1.6 G, 256ram, ie6. Periodically the screen goes black and nothing works. The power button is frozen in the "on" position and cannot be used to turn off the machine. I have no choice but to remove the battery. Once reinserted, the unit reboots and works until the next freeze. Help!

2. rleescott

rleescott Thread Starter

Is there a moderator responsible for viewing and replying?? Plenty of views but no help in 4days does not make for a successful forum.

3. Flrman1

Flrman1

Have you tried a diagnostic startup?

BTW this is a great forum!

4. dai

dai

i rarely reply to problems with laptops because i steer clear of them because of my lack of knowledge of them.
    i take it the battery power pack is what you are refering to,have you a ac power connector you can connect with to see if it is the battery pack that is the problem.

5. TheDJK

TheDJK

Question: Does the screen go black while you're working on the laptop, or is it after periods of inactivity?

If this occurs after an inactive period, you may want to take a close look at your power options. It sounds like your system might have trouble coming out of Standby mode, which isn't unheard-of for laptops. I'm not very well-versed in Dell laptops, but I've worked on several Thinkpads & Armadas that never behaved correctly with regards to Standby mode.

6. rleescott

rleescott Thread Starter

The screen freezes, either black, or in whatever window I'm working, while I am actively using the laptop. It has never happened during inactivity.

7. TheDJK

TheDJK

A couple things you could try (if you haven't already):
    (1) Windows Update (including SP if not already installed)
    (2) change power options to "always on", and disable/uninstall any scheduled/automated apps that may be running (check task tray, StartUp folder, anti-virus app, back-ups, system clean-up, etc.)
    (3) check for any spyware that may be hidden on your system (Spybot is free and good)

If nothing else, these steps should keep you busy for a while. :D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170994

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice